Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alevel results- What if you get a bad grade does it mean you cant carry on to A2? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, this question has been bothering me for quite a while so id like someone to please clear up some stuff for me. Ive heard that AS exams this year do NOT count -which is why you can either sit it or not- and the exams that we sit is simply just going to be used as a prediction for your university ive also heard that if we got low grades in the real exam then the teachers can use you're past grades from mock exams to predict you better.
    So say I got an U in some subject, despite it not counting for your final grade, does it still mean that I cant do A2?But since it's a two years course, does that mean i'll have to start all over again? Or can you carry on and just strive to get better for the overall exam in A2? Can you do a one year course even if you fail? Im honestly not getting it.

Oh and are the results you get automatically sent to the universities or do you just show it to them when you go there?
    Please explain this to me, thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melo-san)
    Hey there, this question has been bothering me for quite a while so id like someone to please clear up some stuff for me. Ive heard that AS exams this year do NOT count -which is why you can either sit it or not- and the exams that we sit is simply just going to be used as a prediction for your university ive also heard that if we go low grades in the real exam then the teachers can use you're past grades from mock exams to predict you better.
    So say I got an U in some subject, despite it not counting for your final grade, does it still mean that I cant do A2?But since it's a two years course, does that mean i'll have to start all over again? Or can you carry on and just strive to get better for the overall exam in A2? Im honestly not getting it.

Oh and are the results you get automatically sent to the universities or do you show it to them when you go?
    Please explain this to me, thank you in advance
    ive been meaning to ask this question to, and im really worried because i feel as though i have failed so im praying that i can still carry on to A2 because the As does not count anyway

ReputationRep:
    Let's take biology as an example:
    Let's say, in the beginning of the year you aimed for a B at A-levels on whole.
    After AS you got 150/300 UMS. Which is a D.
    So to secure a B you need 420 out of 600 UMS, which means you have to get 270/300 for A2.
    Let's just say, I found AS to be much more manageable to get a higher grade in, that from A2. So with a D at AS, hoping for 270 at A2 is impossible.
    Since AS is easier to score in, it's advisable that you repeat and get the highest grade and highest mark possible, based on what you are aiming at. Because recovering at A2 is a LOT harder and not advised.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your college/sixth form policy - at my college, even with the reformed A-Levels, they still require you to get at least a D in your AS subjects to be able to carry it on for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarazzz)
    ive been meaning to ask this question to, and im really worried because i feel as though i have failed so im praying that i can still carry on to A2 because the As does not count anyway
    Same Hopeful. Best of luck to both of us

ReputationRep:
    Same Hopeful. Best of luck to both of us
    Yes fingers crossed and Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    It depends on your college/sixth form policy - at my college, even with the reformed A-Levels, they still require you to get at least a D in your AS subjects to be able to carry it on for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So it doesnt have anything to do with the universities? I go to a private school so i dont think they care much as long as I pay. Who require you to get atleast a D grade? The sixthform or the university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvWOW)
    Let's take biology as an example:
    Let's say, in the beginning of the year you aimed for a B at A-levels on whole.
    After AS you got 150/300 UMS. Which is a D.
    So to secure a B you need 420 out of 600 UMS, which means you have to get 270/300 for A2.
    Let's just say, I found AS to be much more manageable to get a higher grade in, that from A2. So with a D at AS, hoping for 270 at A2 is impossible.
    Since AS is easier to score in, it's advisable that you repeat and get the highest grade and highest mark possible, based on what you are aiming at. Because recovering at A2 is a LOT harder and not advised.
    Repeat what? The year or the exam? Cause i dont want to repeat the whole year :'(

ReputationRep:
    So it doesnt have anything to do with the universities? I go to a private school so i dont think they care much as long as I pay. Who require you to get atleast a D grade? The sixthform or the university?
    No, universities mainly just want to know your predicted grades but if they see you're predicted A*s when you get U's in your exams, they might be dubious. The sixth form required the D grade and the main reason is because if we can't get at least a D in our AS exam, they don't think we'll be capable enough to get a decent grade in A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Repeat what? The year or the exam? Cause i dont want to repeat the whole year :'(
    The exam! :P Like, the papers. You can do some units you didn't do so well in and think you can get a better grade in.

ReputationRep:
    Our school is allowing students to continue but it may differ for other colleges and sixth forms. You'd need to speak to your head of year about it. It's still possible to continue but only if your school allows you too. With old a levels, this wasn't the case. Girls who have all unreformed subjects i.e Maths, Further maths, religious studies, film studies would be expected at least an E grade to continue unto A2 as AS would count in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Our school is allowing students to continue but it may differ for other colleges and sixth forms. You'd need to speak to your head of year about it. It's still possible to continue but only if your school allows you too. With old a levels, this wasn't the case. Girls who have all unreformed subjects i.e Maths, Further maths, religious studies, film studies would be expected at least an E grade to continue until A2 as AS would count in this situation.
    Oh I see! I'll ask my head about about it. But since I go to a private school the chances of them refusing is close to nil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvWOW)
    The exam! :P Like, the papers. You can do some units you didn't do so well in and think you can get a better grade in.
    Lol I see. Can you still do that if you get lower than an E?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I see. Can you still do that if you get lower than an E?
    Yes you can!

ReputationRep:
    In AS i got a U in Sociology but my sixth form still allowed me to carry on with the subject. Instead of re sitting the whole year i just resat my AS Sociology exam (the one which was worth the most marks) and then sat A2 alonsgside it. But it does entirely depend on your sixth form x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francesca2298)
    In AS i got a U in Sociology but my sixth form still allowed me to carry on with the subject. Instead of re sitting the whole year i just resat my AS Sociology exam (the one which was worth the most marks) and then sat A2 alonsgside it. But it does entirely depend on your sixth form x
    Yeah, i'll ask them about it tomorrow hopefully they'll say yes.
    But does that only apply for one subject? What if I get a U in two subjects? Is it only one subject you're allowed to repeat?

ReputationRep:
    But does that only apply for one subject? What if I get a U in two subjects? Is it only one subject you're allowed to repeat?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.