Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am an erasmus exchange student from Udine, ITALY (80mi from Venice), and I am coming to Leeds in September 2007.

I applied for University accommodation and got allocated in Lupton Residences, Block E, Room E3.15, even though my first choice was North Hill Court (mainly because I am on a quite low budget, and NHC was the cheapest)

I wandered through the forum and read that Lupton is not that bad, the price is not so bad also (about 350 pounds more than I expected for the whole session, which is not that bad actually), it is a bit farther from Leeds Uni than North Hill Court though...

I wanted to get in touch with some people, and so I started this thread... maybe you can tell me how Lupton looks like, or send me photos if you have some... maybe someone reading this will discover he/she is in my same room!

I want to get a bike as soon as I am in Leeds, to commute to university and get around Yorkshire dales and Yorkshire countryside... I want to find a good swimming pool, and settle down in the place where I will be spending my next year! I would love to be in room with someone with the same interests, but the "room mates" matter is basically a question of luck, even though someone told me that accommodation office does a good job in allocating "compatible" people together.

What would I expect from Lupton, and from Leeds in general?
    Write everything you think that might be useful to me, as a foreigner preparing for a 1 year English life!

Is it weather so bad? The English rainy weather is kinda stereotype, but I am not believing it totally... I hope my mountain bike will be usable most of the time... and I hope not to get stuck on buses because of loads of rain!

Thanks,
    cheers mates!

Tommaso.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tommaso,

I'm Jen, also an international student. I'm from the US though. Anyway, I've read that some students who didn't get their first choice have contacted the Accomodations Office and asked them to change it. I was just reading about one person who got into Carr Mills who, after calling, was placed in Boddington (I believe it was Boddington). At any rate, it's worth a try.

So I suppose I can't really help you with your other questions about Leeds in general since I've never been to Europe before, let alone Leeds, but I can tell you from my research that the weather varies. I know that a few weeks ago, Yorkshire was undergoing a lot of flooding, but according to a few friends who are there already as students the weather has turned for the better. From what I've seen, the weather in Leeds is a lot like the weather where I live. There's a lot of rain (there's a little bit of truth behind all stereotypes) and it gets cold, but it can get very hot in the summer and not all days are completely horrendous. As for always having to take the bus, you could always walk. I know that it's raining, but if you wear a coat with a hood, it's not all that horrible. It's almost refreshing in a way! At least that's what I've tried to convince myself when walking between buildings at my old campus in the US when it's pouring rain.

This is all going off of research though, the best that I can do from thousands of miles away, but I suppose when a British person replies we'll have a better idea.

I see that we'll be getting there around the same time, that's cool! So you'll be there for International Week? What classes are you interested in taking? I've met a girl on Facebook from France who was an Erasmus student last year. She's told me fantastic things about Leeds and her time there. She's sad that she could only stay for a year though, and it was very difficult to leave. She really bonded with her fellow Erasmus students.

Pleasure meeting you,
    ~Jen

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jen!
    I am coming on the 7th, and I think I will attend the International Week! I am studying MSc Computer Science, I will be taking Learning and Reasoning, Artifical Intelligence and courses related to Machine Learning!

Here I am used to cold winters and hot and humid summers! Now it is almost 38°C and is very hot! I am near Venice, 80mi from there, 30mi from the mountains and 30mi from the sea! Just in the middle of the variety, The Mediterranean or the Alps!

But I feel like having an attitude towards British weather and landscape, so I am positive about it!

About accommodation... well, I have to say that having checked out forums, opinions etc. I am quite satisfied about having been allocated in Lupton, since it is a bit pricier, that's true, but people seem to say it is worth... North Hill Court is cheaper but also lower quality kitchens and bathrooms, so I think I will accept the offer!

Anyway I do not think about Leeds life as "only international", I would like to get in touch with British society and people, just to feel integrated in the country where I will be living for nearly one year!
    So... see you in Leeds!!!

Bye,
    Tommaso.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Tommaso,

Wonderful, I guess I'll see you around campus at some point! Wow, those sound like some heavy classes! A few of my friends would love them! They're both science majors, one at Stanford and one at the University of Washington. Anyway, so MSc is a Masters in Science, correct? I always get a bit confused with the degree abbreviations.

Wow! We were right around that temperature about a week ago where I live, it was crazy! The entire West Coast of the US was under one big heat wave and there were wildfires all over the place. It's now cold and rainy again. But that's good that you're at least prepared for the weather even if it isn't the most wonderful. I would love to visit Italy one day. A friend of mine was an exchange student there a few years ago, and I have met two girls who have come to the US as exchange students from various places in Italy. I can't tell you where though because they never told me the name of the cities that they came from. Just that it was or wasn't near Rome. One thing I've noticed is that whenever I meet someone from abroad (except in class), they automatically assume that I don't know geography very well. Apparently most people they talk to in the US have no idea where they are talking about even if it's a capitol or major city, which is so sad. What a perfect place to live though, close to everything! It reminds me a bit of New Zealand, the idea of varying landscape.

Better positive than negative! I'm the same, or try to be.

That's wonderful news! I'm glad that you are happy where you're staying. Now Lupton is Self-Catered, correct? I guess kitchen quality would be extra important in that case. I'm in catered my first year; I was going to do self, but the idea of not having to worry about 2/3 of my meals was enticing for my parents so we went with that. Plus, it's on campus. I've had to commute to school for two years and I hated it! Granted this is a 20 minute walk to Leeds we're talking about; my last commute was a 45 minute drive. So have you started getting stuff for your room? It's a shared room, correct? I can't remember which halls are mostly shared and which are mostly single.

I completely agree! A few months ago, it didn't look like I would be able to go to Leeds the easy way (aka directly), so I was going to study abroad from a school I had already been accepted to in the US. They seemed to focuse on keeping the group together and comfortable amongst fellow Americans though. It irritated me to no end! There was no immersion planned! It was all travel as a group, see things together, experience things together. That's not at all what going abroad is all about. My friend who went to Italy was able to become nearly fluent in Italian in just a school year by immersing herself in the culture. Now, she's teaching English to an Italian man in town who owns a restaurant and wants to be able to interact with people. So good for you for making the most of your time!

Sorry that I write so much...I tend to over do it, or so I've been told.

~Jen

ReputationRep:
    Lupton is pretty good, it's right in Headingley which is a good area for students, lots of shops and buses and pubs and stuff like that.

Leeds in general is good for biking as well, lots of the roads have bicycle paths and you see a lot of people using them, especially near the university. We're not far from some beautiful scenery too so if you want to just get on your bike and find somewhere pretty, you usually can. There's a ruined abbey not far from my house, and the dales themselves are only an hour away or less.

As for the weather... well, I won't lie, it's not beautiful all year round, and for half of the year it tends to be a bit grey, quite windy, and damp. But the summers are gorgeous, everyone sits on the big park (Hyde Park) and has BBQs or just chills out, it's great. You should really enjoy it!

Incidentally, your English is really good Tommaso, I'm very impressed. Nice work! I would say the same to you as well Jen, but you know...

ReputationRep:
    haha, well it's a compliment none the less, so thank you! And I agree, that's something I forgot to comment on was that your English is excellent! I guess maybe that's a good thing...in my head, I suppose I had forgotten that English is not your first language.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha... Thanks for the compliment, I think my English might sound a little formal since being a native latin-language speaker (and I studied latin itself in secondary school) probably I am likely to use English words derived from latin words, which sound easier to me but more formal (maybe) for a native English speaker.

Anyway all my italian friends tease me for my English, because when I speak English or just say a couple of English words or sentences while speaking in Italian, they say I show off too much!! It's no excuse for me to say that I should properly speak English if I want to get on greatly in England, they still say I exaggerate!!!

And these compliments are my revenge!!!

See you mates... in weeks!

Tommaso

p.s. I am only scared by one thing now: how to manage my name and surname in England. I have seen that no English on earth can correctly spell "Tommaso", even on e-mails where it's just a matter of cut-and-paste, everybody spells "Tomasso" or "Tomass", and my surname it is even worse: "D'Odorico", with the apostrophe! I can only imagine all the efforts to correctly spell it on the phone or offices, "Di-Apostrophe-Oh-etc etc". Why am I not just "John Smith"?

ReputationRep:
    Your post made me laugh! We always seem to learn or do things for a reason, even if we don't realize it at the time. I would be scared beyond words to go to a country where the language is not my native tongue, but since you know English quite well and speak it like a native, you really have nothing to be worried about! And be sure to tell your friends that your new British and American friends love that you speak perfect English!

Formal English is far better than speaking as if you don't actually know English. It's incredibly difficult to carry on a conversation with someone who uses improper grammar or says words like "ain't". I'm sorry to all my wonderful southern friends, and I do have many, but that word grates on me like no other word in the English dictionary. Back on topic, formal English sounds educated, which is always a good thing, so don't worry about people thinking your strange for talking in a more formal manner. They'll get used to it!

That sucks about people never spelling your name right. I have a friend named Tandiwhe...nobody spells her name right, it's so sad! I have another friend whos last name is incredibly long. It's a nightmare to deal with counseling and such because they never know how to spell it. Eventually the school will get it down, I'm sure. Spelling it out isn't too horrible either. It's an understandable predicament to be in with an unusual name, or at least unusual in the perspective of the admissions people or whoever you happen to be dealing with.

I can't believe it's only weeks away! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.

See you in England,
    ~Jen

P.S. I suppose I should start getting used to calling people mates, correct? This is going to take some getting used to; the only time people use the word "mate" in the US is to refer to a spouse, haha!

ReputationRep:
    yay other lupton people! Although I'm not allocated because I don't have my results yet... and there is the chance I won't be put into Lupton (although this would be unlikely). Hopefully see you all in september
    kj

ReputationRep:
    i want to go to lupton too. i havent actually been inside nor inside any other accomidation but i saw it from the outside and thought it was the perfect location and its cheapness probably means that most people who go there are a laugh (what i mean is people wont be worried about having an en-suite and that kind of thing.) love the fact that international people are going there as it will make it more interesting for sure.
    my tour guide i had in march when i visited the uni stayed in lupton and said it was good so i hope he was right!

ReputationRep:
    Lupton's pretty nice as far as I'm aware. Never been, but seen photos and know people who were there. It's in a great location and the social life seems cool, in 2005/6 they had a big summer party at the end with music and bouncy castles and BBQs and stuff... other halls didn't get that!

ReputationRep:
    Aww now I'm hearing everyone talk about what Lupton could be like, I kinda miss the place! It's basically everything you need from uni accomodation, good location, decent social life and I know that in the coming year they're upping security more. The wardens are great and very supportive if you need it (had a bit of a rough first term for varying reasons and the wardens were trully wonderful). The grounds of Lupton are great for summer parties and BBQs, we certainly made the most of it! If people want pictures, I've got some somewhere so I'll load them up.

ReputationRep:
    Here are some pics for anyone that's interested.
    (I moved flats btw hence why there are pics of 2 bedrooms)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/Leeds013.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/Leeds017.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/Leeds012.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/Leeds004.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSCN1190.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSCN1443.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSCN1440.jpg

ReputationRep:
    aw it looks cool. i'm in lupton - block a, flat a1! anyone with me?! i chose lupton cos it seemed really down to earth wen i stayed there with my friend earlier this year.... good choice guys x

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm in Block A too.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    It so great that we can share some information before anyone of us have actually set our foot in Leeds. We have an Italian, an American and now I'm an Asian.
    I'm from Malaysia. I've already been allocated at Lupton which was my first choice. Block F. Anyone here in the same block?
    I'll be in Leeds for my final year for Law. I'm quite worried about coping with the accommodation, style of teaching, culture and the money!! I guess it'll be a really good test for me when i get there!
    I'm leaving only on the 11th because the accommodation would not be ready until the 12th which would be just nice when i transit and get to leeds.
    I hope to meet some of u guys during the welcome week

ReputationRep:
    Hey Darkher,

It's great to talk to you! I agree that it's cool about all of us banding together to help each other out.

About the uni accomodations contract, they don't start until the 15th actually, not the 12th. The 12th is when you can start living in one of the dorms for an extra fee each day for if you wanted to get to Leeds early. You won't end up in the room you were allocated, so it'll be sort of like staying in a hotel. You can opt for moving on campus on the 12th though, just bear in mind that there will be an extra charge each day until the 15th and when the 15th comes, you'll have to move everything from the room you are staying in to your permenant room.

See you all in September,
    ~Jen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_Mc)
    [
    About the uni accomodations contract, they don't start until the 15th actually, not the 12th. The 12th is when you can start living in one of the dorms for an extra fee each day for if you wanted to get to Leeds early. You won't end up in the room you were allocated, so it'll be sort of like staying in a hotel. You can opt for moving on campus on the 12th though, just bear in mind that there will be an extra charge each day until the 15th and when the 15th comes, you'll have to move everything from the room you are staying in to your permenant room.
    Most of the self-catering contracts start on 12th - the catered contracts and the remainder of the self-catering ones start on 15th (and just to confuse you all further, the 51 week contracts for postgrad. students start on the 8th ).

ReputationRep:
    Dang, I should have gone with SC then! The whole "contract starts on the 15th" is causing some problems with my parents departure date and worrying my mom. She doesn't want to leave until I'm all settled in and have everything I need, but they're going to leave on the 16th I think.

Thank you for correcting me though! Sorry for the mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I put Lupton as my first choice, but my offer is conditional, so don't know if I'm going there yet!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.