Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student accommodation problems watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've started a application however I can't cancel the contract. I thought I had to accept the licensing, term and agreements to be bound to the contract. Now the halls are asking for the first week of rent even though I haven't pressed agree on the online system for the room. Need advice plz. They only told me to find an replacement.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It sounds like you have, whether you realise it or not, agreed to terms and conditions so your only options are to go or find a replacement.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Mellowcraxy)
    I've started a application however I can't cancel the contract. I thought I had to accept the licensing, term and agreements to be bound to the contract. Now the halls are asking for the first week of rent even though I haven't pressed agree on the online system for the room. Need advice plz. They only told me to find an replacement.
    Hi,

I may be able to help. Unless you have signed a contract, you are not legally bound to it. If you have signed a contract, you have entered into a legal agreement, and it is likely you will need to find a replacement. I hope this helps clarify, but if you have any more questions, please do just ask.

Laura
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello

Unfortunately it sounds like there was a small oversight - you may have accepted this contract, signed it or ticked a box without knowing you did. Did you not finishing the online application? or was it a paper contract etc?

If it turns out you have signed out without intentionally meaning too, unfortunately, you are now bound to the contract and there isn't a lot you can do besides find a replacement.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello

Unfortunately it sounds like there was a small oversight - you may have accepted this contract, signed it or ticked a box without knowing you did. Did you not finishing the online application? or was it a paper contract etc?

If it turns out you have signed out without intentionally meaning too, unfortunately, you are now bound to the contract and there isn't a lot you can do besides find a replacement.

Best of luck!
    I haven't finished the online application to my knowledge. I've phone up n they basically said my application went through.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I haven't finished the online application to my knowledge. I've phone up n they basically said my application went through.
    Hello

When completing the application and didn't finish it, did you just close the webpage or did you get to the end of the application but didn't accept the terms and conditions?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 152
Size:  146.3 KB
    I've read this part at the top and though if I didn't comply to the 3 bullet points the the contract wouldn't go through.

At the bottom there are boxes that need to be ticked which say, "I have read this licence agreement and understand and agree to be bound to its terms".
    I though by clicking this then saving it to my online application make the contract go through thus I left it without ticking it. Because at the time I was unsure where I wanted to live and wanted to leave options open

ReputationRep:
    I've read this part at the top and though if I didn't comply to the 3 bullet points the the contract wouldn't go through.

At the bottom there are boxes that need to be ticked which say, "I have read this licence agreement and understand and agree to be bound to its terms".
    I though by clicking this then saving it to my online application make the contract go through thus I left it without ticking it. Because at the time I was unsure where I wanted to live and wanted to leave options open
    to me it appears that you haven't actually secured your room although it depends, there may have been terms further back in the application process which mean you have formally agreed to it... can you get your university SU/housing office to have a look or do you know anyone in the legal field? My guess is they didn't fill the room and are now just trying to get the rent and hoping to scare you into paying btu you don't want to end up with court costs etc

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Don't think you've accepted anything.. You would have to sign it and send them a copy to actually agree on it.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative

I would agree, you have not accepted the terms. I suggest you contact them to ask. I am sure you will be able to sort it out, don't worry!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.