Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I wanted to know what was the general Computer Science AS level result for june 2016
    i got a C and i studied so hard
    what should i do to make it A

ReputationRep:
    how on earth do you know what grade you got?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh well done! I did OCR and got an A and I think it's just revising the content mainly, but knowing general code logic is quite useful for lots of marks too- maybe ask your teacher for small coding tasks to do in pseudo code or a language of your choice, eventually doing it in timed conditions! If you're doing OCR as well then I'd make sure to get the coursework next year as spot on as possible (start planning now maybe?). It sounds like the exam is going to be very similar to this one as there's not much additional content for A2 in comparison to AS There are some good resources here: http://www.mrfraser.org/
    Although to see them you will need to get a teacher to sign up with their school email address or use your own school address if you have one.

EDIT: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/253701-...xity-guide.pdf
    Here is the complexity guide for the project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KurisuSan16)
    Ohh well done! I did OCR and got an A and I think it's just revising the content mainly, but knowing general code logic is quite useful for lots of marks too- maybe ask your teacher for small coding tasks to do in pseudo code or a language of your choice, eventually doing it in timed conditions! If you're doing OCR as well then I'd make sure to get the coursework next year as spot on as possible (start planning now maybe?). It sounds like the exam is going to be very similar to this one as there's not much additional content for A2 in comparison to AS There are some good resources here: http://www.mrfraser.org/
    Although to see them you will need to get a teacher to sign up with their school email address or use your own school address if you have one.

EDIT: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/253701-...xity-guide.pdf
    Here is the complexity guide for the project.
    I'm doing A2 next year and im so worried, i haven't done the AS exam not even an internal exam. I only know like 1/3 of the content based spec, the programming side im absolutely pathetic, im awful at programming i hate it but im stuck with it for a year
    i need some advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TS21)
    I'm doing A2 next year and im so worried, i haven't done the AS exam not even an internal exam. I only know like 1/3 of the content based spec, the programming side im absolutely pathetic, im awful at programming i hate it but im stuck with it for a year
    i need some advice
    If you don't like computer science it is going to be quite hard to find motivation to learn it...

Anywho, 1/3rd of the content (based on grade boundaries) would have gotten you an E in AS but 2/3rds is A, which means 2/3rds of the content in A2 should be
    a half decent grade! So when you think about it, 1/3 more content to learn in a year shouldn't be too hard?

When learning, I found it useful to make posters;
    • A3 Posters as mindmaps for lots of little content -> colour is important!
    • A4 Posters as block information (like a flow chart sometimes) for bigger proccesses like the Fetch Decode Execute Cycle
    And it's really important to put these in a place you'll always look, like the wall you're always forced to look at when about to get into bed, or when waking up.

Another thing to think about is the practical side;
    • if something has obvious practical that you can do (such as Little Man Computer, do it! Get used to it, change it around and try have a bit of fun!
    • get people to test you on little things such as binary -> hex conversion, and back, and into denary and back
    This leads onto the actual programming- you should be able to find a way to make this fun to some extent, for example whenever I teach friends python, I also do a simple;
    Code:
    i=0
    while i<1000000:
        print(i)
        print('hello')
        i = i+1
    --> the hello was usually replaced with a swear word and that usually made them interested in it, but it lead to questions;
    • what happens if I change 1000000?
    • is there a limit as to how high I can set this?
    • what happens if I add more print statements?
    • what happens if I change i+1 to i+10?
    • what happens if I set i=1 then change i+1 to i+i?
    • or i*i?
    I know these are basic, but you need to have that approach to all programming, always ask questions, how could I change this? Eventually that'll lead to so much curiosity you'll learn so much!

Hope this has helped a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurisusan16)
    if you don't like computer science it is going to be quite hard to find motivation to learn it...

Anywho, 1/3rd of the content (based on grade boundaries) would have gotten you an e in as but 2/3rds is a, which means 2/3rds of the content in a2 should be
    a half decent grade! so when you think about it, 1/3 more content to learn in a year shouldn't be too hard?

When learning, i found it useful to make posters;
    • a3 posters as mindmaps for lots of little content -> colour is important!
    • a4 posters as block information (like a flow chart sometimes) for bigger proccesses like the fetch decode execute cycle
    and it's really important to put these in a place you'll always look, like the wall you're always forced to look at when about to get into bed, or when waking up.

another thing to think about is the practical side;
    • if something has obvious practical that you can do (such as little man computer, do it! Get used to it, change it around and try have a bit of fun!
    • get people to test you on little things such as binary -> hex conversion, and back, and into denary and back
    this leads onto the actual programming- you should be able to find a way to make this fun to some extent, for example whenever i teach friends python, i also do a simple;
    Code:
    i=0
    while i<1000000:
        Print(i)
        print('hello';)
        i = i+1
    --> the hello was usually replaced with a swear word and that usually made them interested in it, but it lead to questions;
    • what happens if i change 1000000?
    • is there a limit as to how high i can set this?
    • what happens if i add more print statements?
    • what happens if i change i+1 to i+10?
    • what happens if i set i=1 then change i+1 to i+i?
    • or i*i?
    i know these are basic, but you need to have that approach to all programming, always ask questions, how could i change this? Eventually that'll lead to so much curiosity you'll learn so much!

Hope this has helped a little

thank you soo much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.