Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Well, it's been a while... I'm returning to the university in my 30's to take a PGCE and become a chemistry teacher.

Trent gives every student an N-number, and they're recycling my old one so it's probably going to be obvious that I'm a few years out of date.

I'm really hoping to spend some time "being a student" and make some friends. Amongst other things I'm a mandarin speaker and it'll be nice to get a chance to practice in a student community again... I'm not too old am I?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by polysci)
    Hi Guys,

Well, it's been a while... I'm returning to the university in my 30's to take a PGCE and become a chemistry teacher.

Trent gives every student an N-number, and they're recycling my old one so it's probably going to be obvious that I'm a few years out of date.

I'm really hoping to spend some time "being a student" and make some friends. Amongst other things I'm a mandarin speaker and it'll be nice to get a chance to practice in a student community again... I'm not too old am I?
    Hi polysci,

Please don't worry about age, you won't be the youngest, but there will be definitely postgraduates who will be a similar age or older than you!

Just because you are a postgraduate student, it doesn't mean you can't be involved in Welcome Week and the events. There is a postgraduate BBQ, which will be a good place to meet other postgraduate students and you can still get involved in societies. Have a look at the list we have below:

NTSU Societies

I don't think we had a Mandarin Society, but if there is enough interest, you could certainly set one up!

Let me know if you have any more questions

Thanks,

Ellen

ReputationRep:
    As long as you haven't halted recruitment from Taiwan and China I'll find someone to practice with!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by polysci)
    As long as you haven't halted recruitment from Taiwan and China I'll find someone to practice with!
    Well we definitely haven't done that!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.