The Student Room Group

A few questions from a Brit going to America

Hi, I', studyin at Missouri in about 3 weeks, I just got some questions about American uni and culture.

What is the standard of the university footy teams like?
What do they do on nights out (seeing as they can't drink under 21)?
Are premiership matches generally available to watch in the US?
Do American girls really love British accents or is that bull?
Will I get treated like an outsider?
Is the work harder/easier then in Britain, more/less studying to be done etc.
Are things generally more/less expensive/the same?

Cheers everyone.

Scroll to see replies

For the last question, it depends on the exchange of the pound against the dollar.
Reply 2
What is the standard of the university footy teams like? You mean that lovely sport of soccer? It depends on the Univerisity. Mostly, they're decent, and they have quite a cult following, but they don't get as much attention as the basketball/football games do.
What do they do on nights out (seeing as they can't drink under 21)? Dance, cards, drink illegally (not recc'ing that), drugs (again with the non-recc'ing), game...Anything, really. Dress up go the Rocky Horror, watch re-runs of Buffy. It depends on what you like to do. I have friends who party Fridays and Saturdays, and friends who play drinking games to the Pirates of the Caribbean. Variety is the spice of life, and all that rot.
Are premiership matches generally available to watch in the US? Yeah...if you have the money for cable (if you live on your own), or you can beat your dorm-mate off the TV.
Do American girls really love British accents or is that bull? We love them. No lie. Why? Well...no good reason there. However, you'll most likely fall in love with the Southern accent. We had some exchange students last year, and I swear they just flirted with us to hear us say "Ya'll".
Will I get treated like an outsider? Depends. If you're friendly, most likely not. You'll find your niche, just give it a month.
Again, depends on the classes you take. The rule is, for every hour of class, expect 2x's that much homework.

So...yeah, there you have it. Have a blast, pack lots of t-shirts (this time of year is humid and sticky, and just plain nasty), be prepared to beat the girls off, and do well! And bring your own stash of chocolate-even if you don't like it. There are people who would sell their souls for Cadburys...it's hard to find here.
Monomer
What is the standard of the university footy teams like? You mean that lovely sport of soccer? It depends on the Univerisity. Mostly, they're decent, and they have quite a cult following, but they don't get as much attention as the basketball/football games do.
What do they do on nights out (seeing as they can't drink under 21)? Dance, cards, drink illegally (not recc'ing that), drugs (again with the non-recc'ing), game...Anything, really. Dress up go the Rocky Horror, watch re-runs of Buffy. It depends on what you like to do. I have friends who party Fridays and Saturdays, and friends who play drinking games to the Pirates of the Caribbean. Variety is the spice of life, and all that rot.
Are premiership matches generally available to watch in the US? Yeah...if you have the money for cable (if you live on your own), or you can beat your dorm-mate off the TV.
Do American girls really love British accents or is that bull? We love them. No lie. Why? Well...no good reason there. However, you'll most likely fall in love with the Southern accent. We had some exchange students last year, and I swear they just flirted with us to hear us say "Ya'll".
Will I get treated like an outsider? Depends. If you're friendly, most likely not. You'll find your niche, just give it a month.
Again, depends on the classes you take. The rule is, for every hour of class, expect 2x's that much homework.

So...yeah, there you have it. Have a blast, pack lots of t-shirts (this time of year is humid and sticky, and just plain nasty), be prepared to beat the girls off, and do well! And bring your own stash of chocolate-even if you don't like it. There are people who would sell their souls for Cadburys...it's hard to find here.

lol quality. Yea I love the southern accent....plus Southerners are more friendly and attractive ime :biggrin:
Hi, I', studyin at Missouri in about 3 weeks, I just got some questions about American uni and culture.

What is the standard of the university footy teams like? Not very good
What do they do on nights out (seeing as they can't drink under 21)? We all have fake IDs - but there are fraternity parties and clubs. Social life centers around drinking here.
Are premiership matches generally available to watch in the US? Sometimes they're on ESPN or ESPN2, but not frequently.
Do American girls really love British accents or is that bull? 100% True.
Will I get treated like an outsider? Initially, probably...but not for long.
Are things generally more/less expensive/the same?

Cheers everyone.
Reply 5
Don't expect any Americans to care about footy unless they're on a team. And as you're going to be in the midwest, most people will really enjoy basketball and (American) football. The university teams are probably terrible (comparatively). And don't expect to be able to watch matches on TV either--ESPN never plays anything but the World Cup and ESPN2 rarely plays anything. However, you may have Telemundo or Univision, and they play matches more often, but of course the commentators speak Spanish (but it's worth it hear them yell, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOO-OOOOOL!"

Your status as outsider/not-outsider will depend on your personality, which I doubt will be an issue. I'll guess that assimilation will happen easily. I had a French roommate last fall and within a month it wasn't an issue at all for either him or us.

Working: It depends on the universities compared. I don't think it'll be that difficult.

Money: You'll be able to buy a LOT more. Probably twice as much for the same money (as the dollar is half a pound). Electronics seems to be a lot less expensive over here. For instance, if something is 200 dollars, it'll be 200 pounds in the UK; thus, it'll be 100 pounds if you buy it over here.

Have fun!
Reply 6
Monomer
Yeah...if you have the money for cable (if you live on your own), or you can beat your dorm-mate off the TV.
[...]
So...yeah, there you have it. Have a blast, pack lots of t-shirts (this time of year is humid and sticky, and just plain nasty), be prepared to beat the girls off, and do well!

You're American, right? This phrase used in this way kind of shocked me. At least where I'm from, "to beat off" is another way of saying to masturbate. :eek: So, no, I'd only use beating off your roommate to watch soccer a last resort. Unless you and your roommate are into that whole thing, and that's a totally different issue. Did anyone else think this when they read that phrase?

Americans do have a little bit of an attraction to a British accent. Though you might get jostled for it, too. I'd pretty much relinquish any hope of watching a decent soccer match, especially if you're going to Missouri. You're best bet would be to find a contingency of Brits or international people and see if they have some sort of thing going. It's not too common that we get European soccer on regular TV though. I mean, really, who wants to watch it here now that we have David Beckham? :biggrin: Oh, and most Americans still think that David Beckham is the best soccer player ever... is this still true?
Reply 7
What is the standard of the university footy teams like? As far as the quality of the teams themselves - well, it depends. My uni, UNC, has some of the best men's and women's soccer teams in the world (Mia Hamm, our most famous soccer player, went to UNC, and our women's team has won 18 of the past 25 national championships), but even so, soccer doesn't have a huge following here. :/

What do they do on nights out (seeing as they can't drink under 21)? If you're under 21, dorm parties or house parties. Some bars let you in under 21 and will either write Xs on your hands to show you're not 21, or give bracelets to those who are over 21. Lots of exchange students get fake IDs. It's especially easy for them, I've found.

Are premiership matches generally available to watch in the US? No. Fox Soccer Channel has the best EPL coverage, but it's not one of your normal dorm channels. I'm a huge soccer fan, and I can say it's extremely frustrating. ESPN/ESPN2 will show Champions League, but that's about it...

Do American girls really love British accents or is that bull? Yes, yes, yes! :wink:

Will I get treated like an outsider? No! I don't see any reason why you would. If anything, people will be more interested in getting to know you as an exchange student!

Is the work harder/easier then in Britain, more/less studying to be done etc. My English friends have said there's more work because the work is constant - lots of daily reading, etc. instead of just a big exam or paper at the end of the semester. You'll probably do more studying. I don't think our classes are necessarily harder, we just spread out the work over the course of a semester, and professors - though they won't baby you and make sure you do all your work - will nevertheless find ways to make you work and study on a regular basis.

Are things generally more/less expensive/the same? Less expensive for you, with the exchange rate! Although your place of study will certainly make a difference.
Reply 8
zackinbaltimore
You're American, right? This phrase used in this way kind of shocked me. At least where I'm from, "to beat off" is another way of saying to masturbate. :eek: So, no, I'd only use beating off your roommate to watch soccer a last resort. Unless you and your roommate are into that whole thing, and that's a totally different issue. Did anyone else think this when they read that phrase?

I thought that EXACT same thing, I just didn't want to sound like a pervert or something (not that you do). Very strange use of a phrase.
Reply 9
zackinbaltimore

OMG! Really? *blushes in shame* Well, now I know a no-no for the British forum. I meant, like-force them away? Is there another non-awkward manner to put that? Ack! Now you've gone and made me wonder how else I've put my foot in with the British/American slang issues.

Oh-on a related note. My mother (born in England, lived there 'til she was eight, then moved to Canada and never lost the accent) made the mistake of using 'Knock me up' for wake up...I don't know where you're from, but here, that means...well, impregnating a chick. So that's a no go, 'kay?
Reply 10
The fake ids? Not always true. They're easy to spot (generally) and I've know people to be busted on them. If you really want to drink, older friends will buy, but if they get caught, it's jail time.
There are clubs that allow people under 21 to enter as Designated Drivers-basically, you get to laugh at all the drunk idiots around you with free soda. Lots of fun-and a way to earn money (the ppl you're helping out will sometimes chip in gas money, which rocks, because gas is freakin' expensive!).
zackinbaltimore
:biggrin: Oh, and most Americans still think that David Beckham is the best soccer player ever... is this still true?

HELL no. He's not even in the top 100 imo.

Its gonna be well funny playing soccer against Americans I reckon, I mean,I'm considered good by BRitish standards.....If they're really that bad I'm going to be like,some sort of soccer deity over there!! :biggrin:

Oh, and aren't there like, sports bars and stuff where I can get them to show United matches? I mean, United are known worldwide.
amorgan86
Lots of exchange students get fake IDs. It's especially easy for them, I've found.

How come?
Reply 13
TopSortedMadForIt
HELL no. He's not even in the top 100 imo.

Its gonna be well funny playing soccer against Americans I reckon, I mean,I'm considered good by British standards.....If they're really that bad I'm going to be like,some sort of soccer deity over there!! :biggrin:

Oh, and aren't there like, sports bars and stuff where I can get them to show United matches? I mean, United are known worldwide.

There are sports bars, yes, but you don't realize how inconvenient it will become to leave campus once you are there. Unless you go to a school in a city, or your school IS a city, lots of American college students travel outside the main vicinity of their college campus maybe two or three times a semester aside from. This is usually to the nearest Target or WalMart to grab some necessities. Even if you do find a sports bar somewhere around, it might be hard to get to without a car.

Never say never, though. And I assume you're talking about Manchester United. In that case, I know the name, and I know that the jerseys are red. Does Rooney (the guy that kicked the Portuguese dudes in the balls) play for them? Thats the limit of my "United" knowledge.
Reply 14
Oh, and most Americans still think that David Beckham is the best soccer player ever... is this still true?

Yes... because David Beckham is one of the only soccer players many Americans know by name.

Originally Posted by amorgan86
Lots of exchange students get fake IDs. It's especially easy for them, I've found.

How come?

Well, in my town, many of them get fake IDs at the local STA travel place by going to get a student card and just changing the birthdate. It doesn't get them into every bar, but it gets them into a lot of them. Obviously, this may be completely different in another city...

Does Rooney (the guy that kicked the Portuguese dudes in the balls) play for them?

Yes, Rooney plays for Man Utd.
Rooney is an oaf with big ears.
Reply 16
Do guys love the British accent to then?:smile: Or just girls? When I visited Canada 5 years ago a group of youngsters/20 somethings wouldn't leave me alone until I said exactly what they wanted - they were mad for it. Why is that? Strange.
Reply 17
Laus
Do guys love the British accent to then?:smile:

Definitely. It's just a much more mellifluous language than American English, which I'd say sounds more boorish.
I actually think most British accents are annoying, particularly on women. I loved it until I moved to the UK...I guess you just get used to it after a while.
I find American accents annoying since moving to the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending