Anyone qualified/qualifying as a solicitor through CILEX?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As per the question. Would be interested to hear people's opinions and views on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    As per the question. Would be interested to hear people's opinions and views on this.
    If I am not mistaken you cannot qualify as a solicitor through Cilex. You become a legal executive but don't quote me on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneyfox)
    If I am not mistaken you cannot qualify as a solicitor through Cilex. You become a legal executive but don't quote me on that.
    You can, so long as you have the LPC and PSC then what you've done through CILEX will allow you to convert by equivalent means.

It's a long way round though, I'd only recommend it if you've got a ton of experience on the bloz and are hitting a brick wall with TCs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing it (currently qualifying as a legal exec, but I need to clarify with the SRA whether I can do convert my qualification because the SRA website isn't clear, although I queried this point in 2014 and was given the same info as Iron Bowl).

I've done 13 exams, I have 3 to go and have to put together a portfolio for my qualifying employment. Qualifying as a solicitor would be better for my career but I'm not sure if I have it in me to continue doing exams after I finish my next three.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking through this route! It's perfect because it allows me to sit my LLM postgrad while I work...

(and study the GCILEX units the same time!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Jon)
    I'm looking through this route! It's perfect because it allows me to sit my LLM postgrad while I work...

I would have thought a system which requires portfolio and exams would make it harder to do an extra qualification than a system which doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Jon)

What's the plan afterwards?
    I am just still not sure what CILEX allows you to do?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can indeed.

For me personally I studied a law degree, the LPC, joined CILEx as a graduate member, 3 years qualifying employment and portfolio, qualified as a Chartered Legal
    executive, completed the PSC and applied to the SRA for admission as a Solicitor - easy peasy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notsit)
    I'm thinking of doing it (currently qualifying as a legal exec, but I need to clarify with the SRA whether I can do convert my qualification because the SRA website isn't clear, although I queried this point in 2014 and was given the same info as Iron Bowl).

I've done 13 exams, I have 3 to go and have to put together a portfolio for my qualifying employment. Qualifying as a solicitor would be better for my career but I'm not sure if I have it in me to continue doing exams after I finish my next three.
    How did you go about finding an initial legal role?

I know of some people who have gone down this route and their employer paid for their LPC as they were already long-time valuable members of staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comebackseason)
    How did you go about finding an initial legal role?

I know of some people who have gone down this route and their employer paid for their LPC as they were already long-time valuable members of staff.
    Honestly, I was lucky. I emailed local firms for work experience and one of them agreed to let me do 2 weeks. Then their paralegal fell ill, so they employed me temporarily till he came back. This was mainly printing and bundling. I used this experience to get a 'proper' paralegal job at a firm which started funding the CILEx course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - good tactic if TC impossible. CILEX rights (partnership etc) have improved vastly since my day so not sure if I would do LPC now - depends on which area you wish to work. Half on my LPC never secured a TC and fell back to CILEX. Does require a strong will - working and studying a tough option. I started straight from school - 4 years to qualify as CILEX - I didn't hang around. That said the one big problem with CILEX route is the ability to experience many areas of law before you qualify. As soon as you are making profit firms will want to keep you within one department whereas TC allows more exploration.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.