Is a masters in Ecology impossible? Watch

grandcaptain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi y'all

So in high school I took a course in Ecology and I was hooked. Since then I've completed online courses in the subject and been on a few conservation trips as I find it so interesting. I would have loved to have studied it in uni, but it was too late in the year to consider changing around all of my subjects to fit a degree in science. I'm in my first year studying Theatre (BA) right now, which is really great, but it was one of the only degree I could be happy with doing given my high school course choices.

I am really interested in applying for a taught master's in Ecology. I know it will be difficult as I'm not doing a science degree. Does anyone know if my dedication and passion for pursueing the subject outside of my own degree might get me into the programme? Would there be anything else I can do to help my case? Also I'd like to know if this is way too farfetched in the first place lol.
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think it's impossible. I've just had a look at the entry requirements for a few MSc Ecology/related degrees, and most of them say something along the lines of if an applicant has a non-science background, then relevant work experience in conservation/related areas could also be considered. I'd suggest getting in touch with some of the unis offering the degrees you're interested in, explaining the situation and asking them whether they would accept you based on your online qualifications, enthusiasm and experience
post-grad-u-ate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have to be realistic here.

A degree in theatre is taking you to a completely different world than ecology, but you say that from an earlier age you found it interesting and from this there is no reason why you couldn't get involved with local conservation efforts to take your mind off of your career in theatre in your leisure time.

Caring about the environment and social responsibility is a great thing but you have to recognise how and what you can do to help.

Look to Greenpeace, the WWF UK, RSPB, National Trust, and local to your home and to university for what you can do and it would look great on your CV.
Nearwildhelen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Spoiler:
Show
Hey! I was accepted onto an ecology Msc with a BA criminology this year so it's definitely possible. Does help if you can show a commitment to the field through short courses and volunteer work, and I'll be honest you'll have to search quite hard for a university that will be more open with their criteria- I'm going to Oxford Brookes, but there was at least one other who would have considered me (which I can't remember, sorry)
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by grandcaptain)
Hi y'all

So in high school I took a course in Ecology and I was hooked. Since then I've completed online courses in the subject and been on a few conservation trips as I find it so interesting. I would have loved to have studied it in uni, but it was too late in the year to consider changing around all of my subjects to fit a degree in science. I'm in my first year studying Theatre (BA) right now, which is really great, but it was one of the only degree I could be happy with doing given my high school course choices.

I am really interested in applying for a taught master's in Ecology. I know it will be difficult as I'm not doing a science degree. Does anyone know if my dedication and passion for pursueing the subject outside of my own degree might get me into the programme? Would there be anything else I can do to help my case? Also I'd like to know if this is way too farfetched in the first place lol.
If you're honestly in your 1st year, I would honestly drop Theatre and study something science-related like Biology, Animal Behaviour, Zoology, etc.

Your enthusiasm and online courses is not going to cut it. No way. The experience you'd need is not just a two week or a month in Africa. It's usually practical work-place setting for a decent amount of time.

Why did you study Theatre (of all the degrees) if "from an early age" you've been interested in ecology? That to me, doesn't sound at all logical. Unless you don't have a science A-level, then even more so, doesn't make sense.

I've been interested in mental health and psychiatry from an early age. But I didn't study Literature for 3 years and then consider "oh yeah, I'm gonna apply for a MA in mental health".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate