Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Btec Level 3 Construction and the built environment help Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently undertaking a btec level 3 in construction and the built environment. It involves a lot of maths and science which I aren't too good at although I passed both at gcse.

I am struggling on unit 48 if anyone has any experience of doing this or could help me with my assignments? I have attached them to this post.

Any help will be much appreciated
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Unit 48 - Ass 2..docx (792.3 KB, 102 views)

ReputationRep:
    Can't read attachment and it won't open,what's the math/science question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRPAV)
    Can't read attachment and it won't open,what's the math/science question?
    Sorry about that mate;
    "A simply supported reinforced concrete beam is to span 3.8m carrying auniform load of 70kN (inclusive of self-weight). The beam is to be 160mm wide.Assume the 70kN consist of 60% dead load and 40% live load."
    Determine the following using limit state design method for the ultimatelimit state.
    • A suitable effective depth
    • Overall depth
    • Area of steel
    • Then draw afully-annotated sketch of the cross-section of the beam.

ReputationRep:
    So I've never done anything like this before as I've only done a level subjects so this is beyond me aha but I guess the 60% dead load you can use as a constant force of 42kN (weight) acting on the beam and I've just looked up what live load means and its temperary load from what I understand e.g people walking on bridges this means that it should be treated as force per area (pressure) which can vary. Guessing in this scenario 40% live load implies that 28kN of force (in weight) is on this beam. So 3.8m*0.16m (160mm) = 0.608 or 0.61 (2.d.p) meters squared of area. So as pressure is force/area then there is a pressure of 28E3 / 0.608 = 46052.63... = 46053 Nm^-2 (5.S.F) so I guess you now have the weight and pressure that the beam can support (46053 Nm^-2 or pascals). Find out the details of how much pressure concrete can withstand and base your arguments on that? Cos you got to make it so the it can hold the live load but not buckle under its own weight. I literally have no idea so sorry ahah but I had a go at learning something new.

I'm just guessing but useful equations could be..

Density = mass/volume
    Pressure=force/area
    Weight=force=mass*acceleration(o r rate of change of momentum)= mass of object *9.81 on earth

ReputationRep:
    Ok I wrote out a lot but it didn't post anyway I don't know anything about this as I only did alevel but the total weight of the beam will be 70kN and as 60% is dead load this means the beam weighs 42kN, the 40% live load suggests that there is 28kN of weight on top e.g people walking on a bridge. So we can work out the pressure that these people cause or the force per square area in the beam. As 28kN is the "people" then that is the force. Area of the beam is 3.8m* 0.16m (160mm)= 0.608 m^2 so the pressure is 28E3 / 0.608 = 46052.63.. Nm^-2 or pascals. You can work out the mass of the beam on its own (dead load) by doing 42kN / 9.81 ms^-2 = 4281.34... kg =4281kg is the mass of the beam. Do you have values for the density or mass of concrete and steel used cos you could work out the areas/volumes that way. I have no idea what I'm doing and what the question is actually asking,only learn what live load and dead load were about 1 second ago aha but I learn something new

ReputationRep:
    Ok now stuff posts? Wtf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.