The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 16Characters....
Sorry, it didn't tell me you had replied.

I believe they send us a workbook of simple questions to make sure we know everything we need to. Also there is this. I'll just do the workbook if they send it and the latter set of questions. Other than that I've just been doing the odd maths question here and there.

Sorry I haven't been looking at student room for AGES. I've got the booklet yay. Now to remember how binomial expansions work.
Reply 1141
I'm torn between choosing a long contract (35 weeks) or a short contract (29 weeks) for accommodation. Does anyone know how active the city is during the vacation period (terms +- 3 weeks)? Would it for example be useful to live there during the Easter vacation?

International (EU) student if it matters.
Original post by eniet
I'm torn between choosing a long contract (35 weeks) or a short contract (29 weeks) for accommodation. Does anyone know how active the city is during the vacation period (terms +- 3 weeks)? Would it for example be useful to live there during the Easter vacation?

There always seemed to be much more clamour for students to stay and find accommodation that to run away promptly at the end of term. If you are hoping to play sports at Uni level it can be helpful. If you aren't desperate to return to your parents promptly every term it can be helpful. Basically, if you can afford the longer contract, there's always hundreds of things to do in Cam!
Original post by eniet

Cambridge is always a very busy town. It's an admistrarive centre for the county and the largest shopping district for the local people, and ALWAYS full of tourists, too, all year around.
Original post by nestkitt
Sorry I haven't been looking at student room for AGES. I've got the booklet yay. Now to remember how binomial expansions work.

Haha better to do that now than midway through a lecture :-) I've not been sent it by my college but I've been doing the pdf version.
Reply 1145
Original post by eniet

Almost all home students go home during vacations but plenty of internationals stay, even over Christmas.

Also some people stay over Easter to revise, I know I will be this year.
The problem with the long contract above is that you get no en-suite + stuffed into accommodation a 2 minute walk away from King's with 55 rooms, a quarter of which are graduate students whilst everybody else gets ensuite + in college accommodation right above the bar with most freshers.
Original post by Zacken
The problem with the long contract above is that you get no en-suite + stuffed into accommodation a 2 minute walk away from King's with 55 rooms, a quarter of which are graduate students whilst everybody else gets ensuite + in college accommodation right above the bar with most freshers.

Question 1 : Is he also going to King's?

Question 2 : Do you really want to live above a bar? Don't know how well sound-proofed at king's, but it can get quite noisy until very late at night/early morning, esp. if some club/society is doing their bop thing in a bar.......
Reply 1148
Original post by vincrows

Question 2 : Do you really want to live above a bar? Don't know how well sound-proofed at king's, but it can get quite noisy until very late at night/early morning, esp. if some club/society is doing their bop thing in a bar.......

Yes I am :smile: I'm interested in hearing though, @Zacken, where are you planning on living yourself?

Yep!

Yeah, defo - there are pro's and cons to each, Spalding (long contract accom) has a common room(!) and fully equipped kitchens instead of gyps, but the rooms can be either smaller or larger than those at Keynes depending on your luck with the ballot. I've gone for Spalding myself because the long contract is a must, but not too enthusiastic about sharing the shower. :tongue:

I've heard that Spalding is just above a busy street that can get noisy at times as well.
Original post by eniet
Yes I am :smile: I'm interested in hearing though, @Zacken, where are you planning on living yourself?

I've put down Spalding - the long contract is a necessity for me, so didn't have much choice there. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Yep!

Yeah, defo - there are pro's and cons to each, Spalding (long contract accom) has a common room(!) and fully equipped kitchens instead of gyps, but the rooms can be either smaller or larger than those at Keynes depending on your luck with the ballot. I've gone for Spalding myself because the long contract is a must, but not too enthusiastic about sharing the shower. :tongue:

I've heard that Spalding is just above a busy street that can get noisy at times as well.

The problem of noise from streets outside is a lot of people's problem in colleges in the central location unfortunately if your window is facing outside.
Some rooms at Pembroke face a busy street and local buses pass right outside their window......

How mann students sharing how many bathrooms?
The problem of noise from streets outside is a lot of people's problem in colleges in the central location unfortunately if your window is facing outside.
Some rooms at Pembroke face a busy street and local buses pass right outside their window......

How mann students sharing how many bathrooms?

Yeah, so you sorta want to avoid those rooms, but at the same time they make for really good natural lighting and just makes the room seem nicer, so idk gah.

I think about ~5 for one bathroom? 55 people in 5 floors with 2 showers and 2 toilets on each floor.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, so you sorta want to avoid those rooms, but at the same time they make for really good natural lighting and just makes the room seem nicer, so idk gah.

I think about ~5 for one bathroom? 55 people in 5 floors with 2 showers and 2 toilets on each floor.

Right...that's a little bit more people per bathroom/toilet than my daughter's college, then..... A corridor for first years at her college had one bathroom (bath tub) with a toilet, one shower room with a toilet, and one separate toilet for 8 people to share.

I think the first year is a bit more difficult as many are on similar timetables (9/10 am almost everyday for almost everyone), so you just have to work out when is the best time to use the facility.
It'll get better from the second year onward as people's timetables are more varied and many colleges (Not all! Be aware!!) offer better accommodation facility for older students.....
Right...that's a little bit more people per bathroom/toilet than my daughter's college, then..... A corridor for first years at her college had one bathroom (bath tub) with a toilet, one shower room with a toilet, and one separate toilet for 8 people to share.

I think the first year is a bit more difficult as many are on similar timetables (9/10 am almost everyday for almost everyone), so you just have to work out when is the best time to use the facility.
It'll get better from the second year onward as people's timetables are more varied and many colleges (Not all! Be aware!!) offer better accommodation facility for older students.....

Yeah, I've talked to 3/4 people at Spalding and they said they barely find the sharing a problem. So I'm not too fussed about it, it'll hopefully be fine!

Ooh yeah, defo. I think King's have much nicer accomodation for the older students, I recall reading/hearing that somewhere. So just got to tough it out for first year! :lol:
Accommodation officers. The King's one have been ignoring all our emails for the past few weeks now, so having someone on TSR to talk to to clarify matters would be really nice. I do realise that there's an issue with wildly varying policies for accommodation across colleges but they should still be able to deal with the general questions.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I've talked to 3/4 people at Spalding and they said they barely find the sharing a problem. So I'm not too fussed about it, it'll hopefully be fine!

Ooh yeah, defo. I think King's have much nicer accomodation for the older students, I recall reading/hearing that somewhere. So just got to tough it out for first year! :lol:

Good way to improve human skills and negotiating technique. :biggrin:
Hi any natscis doing that maths workbook. I don't know why but for SS8 I got a different answer to the answer sheet. Not sure what I've done wrong, anyone else having this issue 😅 X
Original post by josephinemar25
Hi any natscis doing that maths workbook. I don't know why but for SS8 I got a different answer to the answer sheet. Not sure what I've done wrong, anyone else having this issue 😅 X

What answer have you got?
Original post by josephinemar25

I got it wrong the first time I did that question too. I got the right answer the second time round but I don't know if my method is incorrect or a bit crude. Anyway I got it by getting sec(2theta) = 1/(1-2theta^2) and then multiplying numerator and denominator by (1+2theta^2) - kind of like how you remove complex numbers from the denominator. Since you can disregard any theta with a power higher than 3 then you can disregard the 4theta^4 and so sec(2theta) is approximately 1+2theta^2.
Then I added that on to the sin(1/2theta)cos(theta) approximation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending