The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by vincrows
Well, I definitely do not recommend riding s very expensive bike in Cambridge because of theft problem, but I also do not recommend buying the cheapest bike with inferior quality, either.
It really gets used a lot every day between all sorts of places, often several times a day, you need reasonably sturdy one. With a bike, you really get what you paid for. You may end up in paying a lot for repair (which is expensive) or even may have to buy a new one. You won't save money by buying a cheapest bike.

With a decent lock it's fairly safe. Yeah a D-Lock is easy to get through, but not as easy as the bike next to you with a crappy cable lock.

I have a pretty nice bike but I replaced the quick-release spindles with security spindles so the wheels couldn't be taken easily.
Original post by alow
With a decent lock it's fairly safe. Yeah a D-Lock is easy to get through, but not as easy as the bike next to you with a crappy cable lock.

I have a pretty nice bike but I replaced the quick-release spindles with security spindles so the wheels couldn't be taken easily.

Exactly.
I know the bike theft is really bad in Cambridge but I only know a couple of students who got their bike stolen, and neither of them had D-lock.
Though I also know how easy to cut through D-lock with a proper tool as a porter cut my daughter's when she lost her key...... But, the point is, it makes it less vulnerable.

And helmet, good lights and hi-viz things (jacket, belt, backpack cover, ankle strap.....anything!) to make you easily visible from drivers.
(edited 7 years ago)
And remember, you can sell it, if you like, when you leave Cambridge. Better quality one gives you more money back. Same as cars. :wink:

Yes of course, but you generally won't get much for a used bike, unless you sell it privately and even then... (same as cars).
Original post by jneill
Yes of course, but you generally won't get much for a used bike, unless you sell it privately and even then... (same as cars).

Cheap bikes fro halford is really crap ones. Someone who's an expert/professional in bike explained to me the difference of their bargain price range and proper, decent range and how they make it so cheap, and it was staggering.
It really won't give you good value of money if you're riding it everyday and in a condition students have to be.
Having to take it repair is really expensive and waste of your precious time. Period. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Cheap bikes fro halford is really crap ones. Someone who's an expert/professional in bike explained to me the difference of their bargain price range and proper, decent range and how they make it so cheap, and it was staggering.
It really won't give you good value of money if you're riding it everyday and in a condition students have to be.
Having to take it repair is really expensive and waste of your precious time. Period. :wink:

I said at the outset I dislike Halfords. But even their bikes have a 12 month warranty.

And perhaps your expert was "selling" you a nice expensive bike.

Anyway I think we've fully covered the topic now :smile:
Original post by jneill
I said at the outset I dislike Halfords. But even their bikes have a 12 month warranty.

And perhaps your expert was "selling" you a nice expensive bike.

Anyway I think we've fully covered the topic now :smile:

Honestly, you really don't want your bike become useless during a term..... It's really not a matter of whether you get money back,or not.
And, no, he is not from a bike shop.
And yes, we've more or less covered the topic. :wink:
Anyone else in awe that in about two weeks they'll be studying at Cambridge?
Is anyone thinking of keeping a small plant in their room? (Is that even allowed?)

Think I'd like a bit of life in mine
Reply 1468
Original post by Serine Soul
Is anyone thinking of keeping a small plant in their room? (Is that even allowed?)

One of my friends keeps a basil plant. Good for pasta sauces.
Original post by ValerieKR
Anyone else in awe that in about two weeks they'll be studying at Cambridge?

I don't think it's properly hit me yet
Original post by alow

That's a good shout
Original post by Serine Soul

Aloe vera all the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow

That's million times better idea than Christmas cactus my daughter inherited from her friend......
Original post by physicsmaths
Aloe vera all the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol Lavender - smells good
Original post by EricPiphany
lol Lavender - smells good

lavender reminds me of cat smell for some reason
Original post by EnglishMuon
lavender reminds me of cat smell for some reason

well I don't know what cat smells like so *shrugs*
Original post by EricPiphany
well I don't know what cat smells like so *shrugs*