Owen Smith: ISIS needs to get round the table

Watch
skeptical_john
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I think all of moderate labour heaved a collective sigh when these words were uttered during the labour hustings.

Corbyn's shocker was not recognising Ant & Dec! Man of the people indeed

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ria-derbyshire
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Corbyn 100% now
KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Idiot*
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KimKallstrom)
Idiot*
No, he'll send Corbyn over to negotiate with them
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Corbyn has actually said this in the past too so i'm not sure why the media are reporting he said they were ill considered (they are but Corbyn agrees with Smith).

At any rate it shows just what a pitiful state Labour really is in, it has to pander so far to the left to defeat Corbyn that it proposes compramise with our second greatest enemy right now.

Make no mistake that when these people say 'sit round the table', what they mean is 'we will concede to a compramise'. That basically means we leave the Middle East and when they betray the agreement, they'll spread like a plague because of the incompetent governments in the region.
alevelstresss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Such a thing would legitimise them as a political movement, they are not deserving of discussion, and at the rate which they are depleting, a discussion won't be needed
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Idiot*
I imagine there were some who levelled that sort of insult at Tony Blair when he sent Mo Mowlam to Northern Ireland to broker a peace deal.

As long as the majority of people call peace makers idiots, there will be no peace.
KimKallstrom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
No, he'll send Corbyn over to negotiate with them
I'm sure they'll gladly go along with his "kinder, gentler politics"*
KimKallstrom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I imagine there were some who levelled that sort of insult at Tony Blair when he sent Mo Mowlam to Northern Ireland to broker a peace deal.

As long as the majority of people call peace makers idiots, there will be no peace.
Did you just compare the IRA to ISIS? What drugs are you taking? *
KimKallstrom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Corbyn has actually said this in the past too so i'm not sure why the media are reporting he said they were ill considered (they are but Corbyn agrees with Smith). *
He did indeed say that. There were threads on TSR about it at the time. His supporters were squirming lol
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
He's stupid as there is no ISIS to talk to and they want recognition to give them legitimacy.
Voth Corbyn and Smith are disasters.
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you just compare the IRA to ISIS? What drugs are you taking? *
What's the difference? Both kill and killed innocent people in pursuit of a goal that will never be achieved by killing and maiming.
Nirvana1989-1994
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has he been glue sniffing?
anarchism101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Corbyn has actually said this in the past too so i'm not sure why the media are reporting he said they were ill considered (they are but Corbyn agrees with Smith).
Corbyn said he favoured some back-lines of communication, but explicitly said no dialogue, which seems to be what Smith was advocating.

I don't know if this is what Corbyn meant, but I'd say there is a difference. For example, we were never willing to discuss peace negotiations with the Nazis, but we did keep lines of communications open to discuss terms of surrender and capitulation.

Personally I favour creating a War Crimes Tribunal for Syria and Iraq similar to those for Yugoslavia and Rwanda, and issuing a declaration that those who voluntarily surrender, or even better - can be be induced to turn on their former leaders (ISIS is much more factionalised and less united than the image it portrays) - will get reduced sentences.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
Corbyn said he favoured some back-lines of communication, but explicitly said no dialogue, which seems to be what Smith was advocating.

I don't know if this is what Corbyn meant, but I'd say there is a difference. For example, we were never willing to discuss peace negotiations with the Nazis, but we did keep lines of communications open to discuss terms of surrender and capitulation.

Personally I favour creating a War Crimes Tribunal for Syria and Iraq similar to those for Yugoslavia and Rwanda, and issuing a declaration that those who voluntarily surrender, or even better - can be be induced to turn on their former leaders (ISIS is much more factionalised and less united than the image it portrays) - will get reduced sentences.
Corbyn is arguing for the status quo then, we almost certainly have back channels now.

I think the key thing that will stop your idea working is that this war is not going to end, there are numerous terrorist groups affiliated to ISIS and the west lacks the resolve to cull them.
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He did indeed say that. There were threads on TSR about it at the time. His supporters were squirming lol
It's ironic that Corbyn supporters would be so up in arms about what Owen Smith said. They say "You can't negotiate with the head choppers" etc, affecting to have a hard line, but it's not that long ago Corbyn opposed (and continues to oppose) any military activity to stop ISIS. So Corbyn's plan is not to negotiate with them, but nor to militarily attack them. Typical Corbynite logic.

Owen Smith's comment was a great mistake, though there is a nuanced argument to be made that there could be negotiations with ISIS leaders, who all need killed or imprisoned, and lower level people (excluding foreign fighters) who joined for a wage or (as is the case now for many) they were conscripted. I don't think it's necessary to wipe them out too
Aliccam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When asked at the same debate, Corbyn specifically said he wouldn't. Now you are even trying to smear Corbyn with what Smith says.

At any rate it shows just what a pitiful state Labour really is in, it has to pander so far to the left to defeat Corbyn that it proposes compramise with our second greatest enemy right now.
Who is our first greatest enemy?
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Looking at what he said in the hustings and since he has said that if they renounced violence and were committed to talking then he thinks that we should be willing to listen. He acknowledges that this might never happen. I don't see anything wrong with that?
KimKallstrom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Looking at what he said in the hustings and since he has said that if they renounced violence and were committed to talking then he thinks that we should be willing to listen. He acknowledges that this might never happen. I don't see anything wrong with that?
Might? On what planet?

Maybe we should wait to see if they change their stance while they continue to massacre, torture, enslave, sell and rape thousands of people. Just to appease the social justice warriors among us. Great.....

Besides, what's wrong with the current policy of precision air strikes against ISIS operatives and targets? If it weren't for this, the Kurds would have probably been completely annihilated by now*
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Might? On what planet?

Maybe we should wait to see if they change their stance while they continue to massacre, torture, enslave, sell and rape thousands of people. Just to appease the social justice warriors among us. Great.....

Besides, what's wrong with the current policy of precision air strikes against ISIS operatives and targets? If it weren't for this, the Kurds would have probably been completely annihilated by now*
I still don't see what is wrong with saying that if the situation changes that talking to them might be a plan. What they are doing is horrific however if they showed commitment to stopping (which as I said in my original post might never happen) then talking to them (I am not even saying conceding anything) seems reasonable. However we are talking about an eventuality which is likely never to happen. And for what it is worth I supported air strikes in Syria
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (202)
43.72%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.21%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.84%

Watched Threads