Medicine in Ireland vs Medicine in England/Scotland

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am a student from Germany. I will be taking the German Abitur (equivalent to A-Level) next year. After that I want to study Medicine in Ireland or England/Scotland. For German students the entry requirements in Ireland are a bit lower than in England or Scotland. England or Scotland are my favourite but I am looking for alternatives in case I get rejected. Can one tell me if there is a big difference between the system in England and the system in Ireland? What about the reputation?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phil730d)
    Hey guys,

I am a student from Germany. I will be taking the German Abitur (equivalent to A-Level) next year. After that I want to study Medicine in Ireland or England/Scotland. For German students the entry requirements in Ireland are a bit lower than in England or Scotland. England or Scotland are my favourite but I am looking for alternatives in case I get rejected. Can one tell me if there is a big difference between the system in England and the system in Ireland? What about the reputation?

Cheers!
    the UK and Ireland are completely seperate countries now, and so yes the medical schools in both of these countries are very different.
    I remember noting upon application that entry to an Irish university for medicine is very competative as there are few schools and a large number of applicants, you also have to have really great academics and a really good entrance exam score.

In the UK it is more varied, there are many medical schools each requiring different things for entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phil730d)
    Hey guys,

Cheers!
    Hi, I'm an Irish student applying to Irish and UK unis for medicine entry 2017.
    The reason I'm applying to the UK is that Ireland only give you the course if you have the grades. In Ireland our school grades are converted to points, and only the very best points get medicine. These points are combined with our HPAT score (this is similar to the UKCAT, a pretty tricky aptitude test) So basically only the people with the best points get in, and once they've given all the course places to them it goes to random selection. Also something to note is for preparation for the HPAT is expensive, there is little to no resources online. From speaking to current Irish medical students, they all recommend MedEntry, an online resource which is quite expensive, I had to pay €500 for it. There are group discounts though so keep that in mind. Also I have payed for a 2 day workshop which I'm not sure are held anywhere overseas, so it will be less expensive without that. It is necessary though from everyone I've spoken to.

In the UK however it varies from uni to uni. There is the UKCAT but there is an excellent preparation book (the ISCMedical book) available for €15 off Amazon and Medify which is similar to MedEntry only it isn't as expensive as you can choose the length of your membership. The universities in the UK also require a personal statement and they hold interviews. This means they take into consideration you, as opposed to just your results.

The UK obviously have higher ranked colleges than Ireland, but Irish colleges are still pretty good. The two leading medicine colleges are Trinity College Dublin and UCD. Trinity is often viewed as the more prestigious college but in fact UCD is often viewed by students as the better college. The points to get into UCD last year were higher that Trinity also. Personally UCD is my first preference from talking to the students and also from attending events run for potential students in the colleges. RCSI is another highly ranked college (also the students speak quite highly of it) and takes a lage number of international students. UCC and NUI Galway are in more rural areas of Ireland and aren't as highly ranked as the Dublin colleges but students speak very highly of these too. Medicine is medicine after all, it's the same degree in the end.

So basically the UK has a fairer system but I'd say try both cause there are still great colleges in Ireland even if it may be harder to get into Ireland. Hope this helped! Sorry if it's very long, I'm procrastinating (I have my UKCAT in a week). If you've any more questions let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your kind help! It's really appreciated. I think I will apply to the UK only as this is my preference anyway. In Germany you apply for university in August of the same year you want to entry university. So I am quite nervous about the application deadline in the UK being that early. emer.b good luck with your UKCAT then!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to pipe up and tell my story. I was a Scottish student who didn't have terrific prospects for medicine in UK universities due to one bad exam. Due to the way the Irish convert UK grades, you can (and I did) do quite well comparatively when they give you your Irish score.

I'm not sure what the poster above is implying regarding HPAT preparation. It's not that mysterious an exam. It's content is very similar to many other aptitude tests, including the UKCAT, so one can study from loads of resources. I'd read a cheap UKCAT book, done one HPAT practice paper and scored in the top 3% of candidates. Aptitude tests are a test of your aptitude, and whilst no doubt one should prepare, spending hundreds of euros on something like this is never going to make miracles occur. You may come first without doing any prep at all. You don't know.

I was accepted by Trinity college. Again with the above poster, theres no actual reason not to consider RCSI, and if you don't mind not being in Dublin, UCC or Galway. All are held to international standards, I never heard any bad things in my half decade of being a Med student about them. TCD and UCD are just the most well known universities to Irish students, with trinity being older and more August and UCD having more places. If I were doing it again my order would be TCD, UCD, RCSI, UCC and NUIG.

I paid EU fees which were less than fees for English students, and had a great five years. I now work in London and feel I had a better education than most of my colleagues coming out of medical school. Really solid practical and academic skills.

You've made up your mind about the UK, and that's great, this is just for anyone looking at the Irish option and who want a first hand experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewJD)
    I'm going to pipe up and tell my story. I was a Scottish student who didn't have terrific prospects for medicine in UK universities due to one bad exam. Due to the way the Irish convert UK grades, you can (and I did) do quite well comparatively when they give you your Irish score.

I'm not sure what the poster above is implying regarding HPAT preparation. It's not that mysterious an exam. It's content is very similar to many other aptitude tests, including the UKCAT, so one can study from loads of resources. I'd read a cheap UKCAT book, done one HPAT practice paper and scored in the top 3% of candidates. Aptitude tests are a test of your aptitude, and whilst no doubt one should prepare, spending hundreds of euros on something like this is never going to make miracles occur. You may come first without doing any prep at all. You don't know.

I was accepted by Trinity college. Again with the above poster, theres no actual reason not to consider RCSI, and if you don't mind not being in Dublin, UCC or Galway. All are held to international standards, I never heard any bad things in my half decade of being a Med student about them. TCD and UCD are just the most well known universities to Irish students, with trinity being older and more August and UCD having more places. If I were doing it again my order would be TCD, UCD, RCSI, UCC and NUIG.

I paid EU fees which were less than fees for English students, and had a great five years. I now work in London and feel I had a better education than most of my colleagues coming out of medical school. Really solid practical and academic skills.

You've made up your mind about the UK, and that's great, this is just for anyone looking at the Irish option and who want a first hand experience.
    Thank you for sharing your story, I'm an Italian student about to attend my last year of high school and I'll be applying for England/Scotland in a month. I really wouldn't mind applying for Ireland as well, although I can't find much info on it.
    Is the deadline in Ireland similar to the English one? (so that would be 15th October to send the whole application)

ReputationRep:
    Ciao sono una ragazza italiana
    Mi chiedevo come si fa ad iscricersi se ancora non si ha il voto di maturita? Perche ho letto che bisogna avere un certo voto alto...

ReputationRep:
    CAO applications start on 1 November, and applications for HPAT start at around the same time too. The deadline for both is early January, but I think you have to do the HPAT in Ireland unless you call up ACER(who administer the HPAT) and arrange a test centre for you.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.