Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im nearly 16 and want to get a part time job but I can just imagine it as all the other workers being older than me. Or like some 18 year olds that are all close and talk outside of work and stuff. I think I might feel a bit out of place.

Opinions ???

Is it like this ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonomon)
    Im nearly 16 and want to get a part time job but I can just imagine it as all the other workers being older than me. Or like some 18 year olds that are all close and talk outside of work and stuff. I think I might feel a bit out of place.

Opinions ???

Is it like this ???
    I got a job at 16 and for me it really wasn't like this. I've been there for almost a year now and made some really good friends, we even go out after work and stuff sometimes. If i'm honest I didn't talk to people as much when i first started because I wasn't as confident, but they were still really friendly even then. I guess it depends on the place but don't worry about it because everyone I know who has gotten a job at that age has made at least a couple of friends from it so you'll be fine. Plus if it's a part time job you get then people are quite likely to be a similar age to you anyway, like where I work the weekend staff (which is my shift) are all students and we're all around the same age. And if not, and it makes you feel uncomfortable, you can always look for a different job after a while!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLouise99)
    I got a job at 16 and for me it really wasn't like this. I've been there for almost a year now and made some really good friends, we even go out after work and stuff sometimes. If i'm honest I didn't talk to people as much when i first started because I wasn't as confident, but they were still really friendly even then. I guess it depends on the place but don't worry about it because everyone I know who has gotten a job at that age has made at least a couple of friends from it so you'll be fine. Plus if it's a part time job you get then people are quite likely to be a similar age to you anyway, like where I work the weekend staff (which is my shift) are all students and we're all around the same age. And if not, and it makes you feel uncomfortable, you can always look for a different job after a while!
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    no, everyone will talk to everyone regardless of age... there might be friendship groups which you don't become a part of but it's not like being left out at school, everyone will still be nice and you're there to work so won't be able to chat too much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.