Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if you are allowed to have your boyfriends/girlfriends/partners stay overnight in your room in the uni accommodation?? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of the restriction in the UK. You're over 18, uni accommodation is basically renting. I'm not sure they can even restrict stuff like that? Seems so weird to me. If you are going to some crazy uni halls that do have this kind of rule, well it's because it's some crazy halls - you'd have to tell us where you were going.

It seems to be a thing in america (from media at least), where Uni is often more 'dorm' based, and there's reps and they try make it so you can't do awful terrible things like have a relationship... My halls was a building, and I rented a room in it with facilities available. There was no one to monitor these kinds of rules, even if they were there (they certainly never told us there were any such rules).

In the UK no one cares. You're an adult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emm_0410)
    Anyone know if you are allowed to have your boyfriends/girlfriends/partners stay overnight in your room in the uni accommodation?? Thank you.
    That should be fine. Universities will care if someone else is living with you in your room and effectively using the facilities long-term without paying rent, but staying overnight is fine. Students are adults; unis couldn't really care less about your sleeping arrangements.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to Nottingham Trent, so it may be different for you, but in my halls we just had to let the warden know someone was staying over incase there was a fire (they have to know how many people are inside). They never asked me why someone was staying over, but they would offer a spare bed if I needed it Although there were people in my halls who forgot to tell them and they never got into any trouble over it!

Like the person above said, you're an adult so there shouldn't be any unreasonable restrictions!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's allowed. It kind of balances out, as for everyone who brings a boy/girlfriend in there's someone else who's hooked up off campus.

No pets though!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by emm_0410)
    Hi emm_0410,

I've had a look, and this is what the terms and conditions say about having visitors:

- You agree not to allow anyone other than the occasional adult Visitor (18 years and older) to stay overnight and they are only permitted to stay overnight for a maximum of two nights in any week.
    - All Visitors must sign in at the reception within your Hall and Visitors are only permitted provided that this does not annoy other occupants of the Hall or disrupt study and provided that this does not annoy or disturb study by other occupants of the Accommodation or Hall. We reserve the right to prohibit visitors if, in our reasonable opinion, it is necessary to do so for the safety and wellbeing of other occupants of the Hall and/or to safeguard our property.

If you have any questions about the above, don't hesitate to ask

Thanks,

Ellen

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone for your help

ReputationRep:
    Although, reading the rules pedantically. If you've got multiple partners, you can still fill your bed every night of the week, as the limit applies per guest, not per occupant

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.