Turn on thread page Beta

Closer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else a big fan of this film?

Just watched it for the second time, there really is some tremendous acting in it. Big thumbs up :cool: And just how ridiculously good-looking is Natalie Portman :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I love this film

ReputationRep:
    I just can't get over just how god-damn outstandingly beautiful, sexy.....Portman is

ReputationRep:
    i havent seen it yet but i really want to

ReputationRep:
    I want to see it so badly looks verily amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Thought some of the dialogue and acting was a bit forced, and the insults with swearing seemed out of place and sometimes cringe-worthy. Alright film, that's it.

ReputationRep:
    my brother is an extra in closer but my mum won't let me watch it (apart from the part my brother is in) because she took offence at the language used in the instant messaging parts. quite funny that i'm not allowed to watch it seeing as i'm 17 and have seen language typed on computers before! lol

ReputationRep:
    lol, the part with clive owen and jude law in his office is hilarious and also when owen starts ripping into julia roberts.

ReputationRep:
    i did this play for my as drama exam - i played the part julia roberts did which meant me having to have *that* arguement (with clive owen) in front of my mum - and its even more explicit on script! i love it though, hence why we did it for our exam!

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely adore this movie.

Excellent acting by all four main characters but especially Natalie Portman and Clive Owen.

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful cast. Great Acting. I love this film, but as someone else mentioned; certain scenes were cringe-worthy.

That 'net-sex' scene is hilarious... and when Clive Owen meets Anna in the aquarium.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to see this film. I'm working my way through the drama section at blockbuster but have only made it to B--I haven't even gotten to Brokeback Mountain. Hopefully I'll get to C before university starts!

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear...looks like i'm in the minority on here in disliking the film, then. The acting was pretty good overall and the score was amazing at times (most notably with Damien Rice's 'The Blower's Daughter' used to powerful effect) but apart from that i found it to be pretty disappointing. Although the characters aren't designed to be the kind of people you'd sympathise with or relate to, I just found the fact that they were all so loathsome with not a single redeeming quality amongst them made me not give a damn about what happened to any of them, thus resulting in very little engagement with the plot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldspark)
    Oh dear...looks like i'm in the minority on here in disliking the film, then. The acting was pretty good overall and the score was amazing at times (most notably with Damien Rice's 'The Blower's Daughter' used to powerful effect) but apart from that i found it to be pretty disappointing. Although the characters aren't designed to be the kind of people you'd sympathise with or relate to, I just found the fact that they were all so loathsome with not a single redeeming quality amongst them made me not give a damn about what happened to any of them, thus resulting in very little engagement with the plot.
    I didn't like it either. I just found it boring, and I'm usually quite easy to please. I do love 'The Blower's Daughter' though, beautiful song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldspark)
    Hmm, I often here this. 'I didn;t care for any of the characters therefore I didn;t care for the film'

More often than not I wouldn't give a toss about ANY characters - still can engage in the film tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Hmm, I often here this. 'I didn;t care for any of the characters therefore I didn;t care for the film'

More often than not I wouldn't give a toss about ANY characters - still can engage in the film tho.
    Just depends on the individual, I guess!

ReputationRep:
    I think the thing that made Closer interesting to me was the fact that it coincided - or even maybe slightly forecast / preceded the death of the metrosexual man ( - in this film - jude law) and emphasised the rebirth of proper men - owen. i thought it was quite well timed in this respect and quite perceptive about how women require different sorts of men at different phases of their lives. That, and Natalie Portman as a lap-dancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Anyone else a big fan of this film?

Just watched it for the second time, there really is some tremendous acting in it. Big thumbs up :cool: And just how ridiculously good-looking is Natalie Portman :cool:
    I met her She came to my school play (she's friends with one of my friends :eek:)

She's very cool.

ReputationRep:
    I like this film, the acting is amazing
    Sometimes it depresses me though lol
    It's definitely not your traditional happy love story
    And I didn't like any of the characters either

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE this film!

It was the first time I'd heard 'The Blower's Daughter' and it was so touching and powerful. Whilst I don't think I'd get on with any of the characters personally, the way they react to each other in their confusion and games is fascinating.

Well...to me anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 17, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.