The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Sweet, now that I'm in don't have to feel guilty for having this as a watched thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Is there a Facebook group for us?
Original post by Vividly clear
Is there a Facebook group for us?

Search up something like 'Freshers 2016' and you'll find either one either specific to the uni or your course.

Edit: Have stickied this, thank you @PugDevil for the thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
When do we get our uni email?
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
When do we get our uni email?

Within the next few days/weeks I imagine. Won't be too long, it will be once they've cleared up those getting places via Clearing/Adjustment.
Original post by MrDystopia
Within the next few days/weeks I imagine. Won't be too long, it will be once they've cleared up those getting places via Clearing/Adjustment.

Okay thanks :smile: do you work for Kings? ( just curious haha, you seem to be around the Kings threads a lot)
Okay thanks :smile: do you work for Kings? ( just curious haha, you seem to be around the Kings threads a lot)

Current student at Kings! Going into my final year of Biomed :smile:
Current student at Kings! Going into my final year of Biomed :smile:

Ah I see, nice! Just a quick question whats the point of entry on ucas?
Ah I see, nice! Just a quick question whats the point of entry on ucas?

Point of entry is the first year of the course on UCAS for Biomed.

Is there a library for the strand campus and is it 24/7?

Think we have the biggest library at Kings ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) not sure about availability though

Posted from TSR Mobile

My course starts 1st September, why does Kings start so early? Or is it just freshers week and then my course starts later on?
My course starts 1st September, why does Kings start so early? Or is it just freshers week and then my course starts later on?

What course is it? In any case, that is most likely just a placeholder date. In actuality KCL tends to start from mid-late September onward. Anything before will be Freshers.
Search up something like 'Freshers 2016' and you'll find either one either specific to the uni or your course.

Edit: Have stickied this, thank you @PugDevil for the thread.

MrDystopia as a current student I was wondering what you'd recommend doing for freshers. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions, some people I know at London unis and KCL in particular say the freshers events such as the lowercase wristbands are a bit of a let down but all the offer holders seem to be raving about them. Personally I think they're a bit over hyped but was hoping you'd be able to provide a bit more insight from your personal and friends experiences. Thanks in advance.
Original post by cpilbeam
MrDystopia as a current student I was wondering what you'd recommend doing for freshers. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions, some people I know at London unis and KCL in particular say the freshers events such as the lowercase wristbands are a bit of a let down but all the offer holders seem to be raving about them. Personally I think they're a bit over hyped but was hoping you'd be able to provide a bit more insight from your personal and friends experiences. Thanks in advance.

I'd use Fresher's to acquaint yourself with people, as you meet so many people through it that you're bound to end up making some great/long last friendships along the way.

Wristbands are only worth it if of course you attend everything it offers you. If you aren't planning to attend everything, you're probably better off paying individually for different club nights. Personally, my flat and I didn't sign up for wristbands, instead we picked specific club nights to go to.

Other things you can do besides clubbing are joining up societies, and attending their meet and greets. There's a rather comprehensive list of societies here: https://www.kclsu.org/joiningagroup/ and sports teams here: https://www.kclsu.org/joiningaclub/. You're bound to find something that tailors to any interest you have. You'll have a Fresher's Fair where every society (Thereabouts) will have stalls set up and offer to sign you up, so don't worry about doing that just yet.

You can also use Freshers, especially if you're from out of London, to explore and get used to your new home. The Underground is a wonderful thing (Especially as it begins running at night from today) and getting used to using it to travel around the place is advised. Always something to do and see in London so I'd recommend it.

Finally, if you're living out, get to know your flatmates. Part of the fun comes from experiencing everything with them and growing (Hopefully) closer to them. After all, you're sharing a space with them for a year at least. And of course, any of the things I've mentioned above can be done alongside them, say for a trip out into Central for the day, exploring London, then returning for a club night.

Fresher's is what you make of it. I'd definitely make the most out of the time as there's no better year to enjoy it to it's fullest, however it is you find enjoyment :smile:
Bit disappointed there's no Maths society but at least I found two sporting society's I'm interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Bit disappointed there's no Maths society but at least I found two sporting society's I'm interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, for some reason the Maths Society isn't listed there. Rest assured, KCL does have a Maths Society. Search KCL MathSoc on facebook and it's there (And most definitely active, I have friends who study maths and are part of it!) :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm, for some reason the Maths Society isn't listed there. Rest assured, KCL does have a Maths Society. Search KCL MathSoc on facebook and it's there :smile:

Thanks, was worried I'd actually have to start one myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem!

Original post by drandy76
Think we have the biggest library at Kings ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) not sure about availability thoughPosted from TSR Mobile

Somehow missed this. You're correct in saying Strand has the biggest KCL library. It's known as the Maughan Library and it's basically Hogwarts. As far as I can remember, it is 24 hours providing you have your ID card on you. Otherwise the admittance desk people clock out in the evening.