Laptop Recommendations?

Watch
KairosityKilled
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So my laptop is currently busted (I have a habit of breaking the corners/hinges for some reason) so will be needing to buy a new laptop for college.

I don't understand laptop specifications so I'm not sure what I should be looking for ...

Does anybody know any reliable/good laptops around £300?
Lockton
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Packard Bell are a good make of laptop, they are usually vey reliable and run Windows, at this moment in time they will have Windows 10 which is good for working and browsing the internet as well as for running more technical software. There are also a good number that are within your price range available online.

MacBooks are expensive and Chromebooks are quite restrictive in what you can use them for. But its up to you, it all depends on what you want really.
username2653977
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KairosityKilled)
So my laptop is currently busted (I have a habit of breaking the corners/hinges for some reason) so will be needing to buy a new laptop for college.

I don't understand laptop specifications so I'm not sure what I should be looking for ...

Does anybody know any reliable/good laptops around £300?
If your price budget is fixed then ignore this.
Apple sent out an email today about deals for Mac's for people going to Uni, perhaps that is worth looking into.
I would definitely recommend a MacBook over any other PC as I have used them all and am choosing to type now with my MacBook.

On the other hand, I can do a little bit more research if you tell me what your main uses for it are (E.g word documents, internet browsing, gaming, photography, editing etc.)
KairosityKilled
Rep:
?
(Original post by GaryIsASloth)
If your price budget is fixed then ignore this.
Apple sent out an email today about deals for Mac's for people going to Uni, perhaps that is worth looking into.
I would definitely recommend a MacBook over any other PC as I have used them all and am choosing to type now with my MacBook.

On the other hand, I can do a little bit more research if you tell me what your main uses for it are (E.g word documents, internet browsing, gaming, photography, editing etc.)
I'd pretty much only be using it fir Word/Publisher etc, browsing the internet and the odd game. £300 isn't majorly fixed, was just to give a rough idea
KairosityKilled
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply!
KairosityKilled
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lockton)
Packard Bell are a good make of laptop, they are usually vey reliable and run Windows, at this moment in time they will have Windows 10 which is good for working and browsing the internet as well as for running more technical software. There are also a good number that are within your price range available online.

MacBooks are expensive and Chromebooks are quite restrictive in what you can use them for. But its up to you, it all depends on what you want really.
I'll have a look, thank you
Hashtosh302
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
heres a very good laptop within your price range
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4243038.htm
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As Acsel mentioned above, £300 won't get you a decent laptop. My experience with laptops is if you buy cheap, you buy twice. I do think that, for £400 you could probably get one that'd last 2 years without any dramas. Even £600-£700 laptops struggle to keep pace after 3-4 years unless you upgrade them.

You want an Intel i5 processor & 8GB of RAM. Unless you're a gamer or do lots of photo/video editing then you won't need a dedicated graphics card (if you do want to do these then you need to realistically double your budget). For 300-400 you won't get an particularly useful SSD but you might be able to find a 7200 RPM HDD which will increase performance over 5400 RPM.

If you can go for £400 then laptops like these become obtainable:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenov...uk/version.asp

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-250-15-6...ywords=laptops

It's also worth saying that the way laptops are treated can massive affect their lifespan. Keeping your laptop cool, especially if you use it in bed or on your lap is a must. Cooling stands like this one are recommended (this is the one I own):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Not...=cooling+stand
username2653977
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
KairosityKilled, these guy's have it spot on.
I burnt through a laptop every 2 years until I got my MacBook in 2013 and it's spec's are still good with an intel i5,
8gb RAM and a 128gb SSD. This will certainly last me another 24 months, although I have to use a school laptop for the next 2 years
KairosityKilled
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone for the advice! As long as it lasts a year or two that's fine, will give me time to save and get a better more long term laptop. Appreciate the help&advice!
thatguy87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This article has some decent recommendations

http://features.shopomo.com/electron...iversity-2016/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads