Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A number of girls I've been interested in and asked out have come up with excuses or said "I see you as a little friend" or something like that.

I'm 5'6, skinny (used to be fat) and compared to most people my age am just abnormal. People are always commenting on how tiny I am, how pale I am etc. And it turns girls off of me. What should I do? How can I look my age? I'm 17 yet people think I'm 14. When I'm out on my own and a bunch of chavs are there I just walk past them without any hassle because they think I'm a kid, but other people my age get into fights (NOT an excuse, just an example).

Other examples of the negatives:
    - family make fun of me for my size
    - not taken seriously by a lot of people
    - I'm made a joke of because of my size and lack of strength
    - I still fit into trousers and t-shirts I've had since I was about 13 (bear in mind I was fat before)
    - I get ID'd at cinemas for 15s! :rolleyes:

Any advice? I damn well deserve someone, it's discrimination! hmph.

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly congrats on loosing the weight, unless it just happened naturally due to puppy fat. Maybe you should join a gym, I started a few months ago and can see my arms and chest getting toned. Its hard work but the results look great. If you bulked up a bit, perhaps people will take you more seriously, girls will find you more physically attractive, your family can no longer make jokes about your size and finally you can get a new wardrobe.

ReputationRep:
    Bulk up a bit? Get some muscle?

If you've got a young looking face, not much you can do really.

Just ignore the rude remarks etc. Cliche I know but you'll be glad of your youthful looks when you are older!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you could bulk up, get a bit bigger. I'd probably concentrate on getting physically fit and strong, rather then going to the gym specifically to get big biceps and a 6 pack.

You could also try dressing a bit more mature I guess. Don't just wear something that a 13 yr old might wear. To be honest though, above all that, the most important thing is confidence. You can get girls if you have that.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. There are a few things you could try (but I'm probably stating the obvious here).

- clothes. What do you wear exactly? If it's band t-shirts and trainers you might want to give those a re-think. Nice jumpers, shirts, smart shoes could definitely help.
    - hair. Stubble could help, as could a good hair cut. Invest in an expensive hair cut at a good salon?
    - skin. Do you have a good diet? And would you consider going on a sun bed? (I don't mean to go all tango orange or pretty boy, but a session every 1-2 weeks could give you a touch of colour)
    - muscle. bulk up a bit down the gym?

ReputationRep:
    Facial hair. It's amazing how a bit of stubble can make a guy look about 5 years older.

ReputationRep:
    If you look young, take joy in knowing that when everyone is starting to look really old and haggered, you'll look relatively fresh faced.

ReputationRep:
    pale is sexy. And dont worry about looking young, dont women like younger guys? coughdemiandashtoncough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackswan)
    coughdemiandashtoncough.
    What was the point of that? They're not reading are they?

ReputationRep:
    i thnk u have to be patient,,u re just 17 and of course u look young,,also girls always grow up faster than guys.i am 20 and my friends used to look like u when they are 17,but now theie apperance realy changed.only 2 or 3 years later u will reach ur real look..by the way,u can get muscle or change ur hair style clothes etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    A number of girls I've been interested in and asked out have come up with excuses or said "I see you as a little friend" or something like that.
    Just use the standard retort for comments like that: "Hey! I moisturise. [grin]"

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the advice. I did used to go to the gym with my friends until they started taking the piss out of how much I could lift :rolleyes: so I invested in dumbbells at home but rarely use them. I might need to start concentrating on sorting out a lifting routine or something.

I like my hairstyle (mohawk-y at the back and top with a fringe - gets positive comments) and I'd usually leave the house wearing black jeans and a polo t-shirt - I don't know how old this makes me look though.

ReputationRep:
    Well you already acknowledge your faults which is a start.

You can't change your height, but its likely you've not finished growing at 17. (I'm about 4 inches taller now than I was at 17 and I'm 22). For the skinniness, go to the gym and eat a lot, and for the paleness, go to a tanning salon. Other than that, don't slouch when you walk, have an upright, erect posture, shoulders back, chest out, head up.

I've just solved all your problems in 2 minutes. I sometimes wonder why my rep is so poor....:rolleyes:

edit: sack off your mates if they're taking the piss. I was 155 at 6'2" when I started, now THATS skinny. Do it for yourself and take no notice of your so called friends. Dumbells at home won't do anything, you need a gym. Google gym routines and bodybuilding diets. Oh yea, and black is the 'smallest' colour, white is the biggest.....by that I mean, it will make you look bigger and wider....I dunno why but its true.

ReputationRep:
    hit the weights and show'em whose boss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopSortedMadForIt)

I've just solved all your problems in 2 minutes. I sometimes wonder why my rep is so poor....:rolleyes:
    I could answer that for you luv :rolleyes: Although I must admit, from what I've seen you've been a lot better lately.

ReputationRep:
    Play rugby, get yourself some scars. Skinny wee guys are good on the wing. Although scars are best gotten in the pack. I was a flanker and my face has a few scars I'm quite proud of.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem.
    Girls say are bless him when i blush easily.
    I'm 16, got no muscle, longish hair and wear skinny jeans and tops.
    Girls think i'm a joke.
    I know how you feel

ReputationRep:
    Have you finished going through puberty , you could just be a late starter.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you're only 17. You're not expected to look like a bloke in his 20/30s. Boys go through puberty slower than girls, I think, so you probably still have a lot to do. You might have a growth spurt in the next couple of years. You probably do look young and I know how annoying it is because I'm 20 but people still think I'm about 15. Stop being impatient, you won't look 14 forever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.