Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Journalist/writer/teaching abroad etc watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This academic year starting september I plan to do As Media, As Psychology and A-level English lang/lit. However, at the same time I plan to do a nail course and a beauty consultancy course one evening a week. I'm unsure of what career I'm persuing but one of those above are preferable. I think I would like to write for a magazine like cosmopolitan for example. I thought therefore that it may be a good idea to get some work experience working on a make-up counter or something like that as this would add some interest to my CV and possibly give me something to write about for the magazines??? I figured that this may be pretty boring though, as I like to write really imaginative and creative pieces/stories. Iam aware that it's really difficult to get into both journalism and writing novels and so I was wondering if it was a bit too much of an ambition and maybe if I should settle for a goal that would be easier to attain like teaching? What are your thoughts and do you think my choices of subjects are suitable?Also I was wandering if you can go into journalism with just an english degree or if you have to do media? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think that most people in journalism have degrees in English rather than media, especially since media is a very new subject so I bet 20 years ago there were very few courses. I'd do English rather than media if I were you because I think it gives you more flexibility to choose other careers, plus many employers would say it is more 'respected' (whatever that means. )

I think that most writers have an ordinary job and write in their spare time until they get something published. J K Rowling was an English teacher. You have to take a lot of rejection though, because most new authors find it difficult to get their first book published.

My Uncle is a journalist and he has a degree in law. He is a freelance writer which means he writes articles and sends them to lots of magazines. If they publish them, they pay him. It means he can work from home, but it can be a bit insecure because he never knows if this month all his articles will be accepted or all rejected. When he was starting out most of his stuff was rejected, so he worked as a cleaner at the BBC to make ends meet.

I think any work experience looks good.

ReputationRep:
    A sizeable number of journalists are non-graduates.

ReputationRep:
    alot of the journalism/media/writing industry seems to be simply being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people etc. although a degree is v usuful i dont think its entirely necessary. A relative of mine is a successful journalist and doesnt have a media, or even english degree. he was studying politics and started volunteering for the local metro newspaper. luckily for him, the editor went on to become the editor or the Times (or possibley telegraph, cant remember!) and offered him a job there.

id say an eng degree would probably leave much more options open for you, but if u want to do media then do that. deffinatley try and get some experiance somewhere within writing!

gud luck
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    definitly do the nail course, if nothing else you will be able to earn money while at uni. If you are serious about writing novels, and you seem to be, this is something you can do that is flexible and you can pick your hours so you can write in your spare time.

And I think it's good to have something a bit different on your CV, it gives employers something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help xx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.