Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are some people who claim in any field that the theoretical component is useless and 'practice is the only thing that matters'. These people discredit theory, science, logical thinking, studies and academic studies entirely.

For example, I argue that knowing the science behind a car and knowing your driver's license rules to a maximum extent is vitally important for your and others' safety on the road. Another person will then argue that 'none of that matters, theory is useless and you only learn on the road, by driving'. I disagree, because if that were true, then there wouldn't be as many accidents - due to irresponsible and ignorant driving - as we have today. One of my friends drives perfectly by the book and he constantly gets annoyed and harassed by other reckless and inconsiderate drivers.

Another example is one where people will tell me that my studying for my degree is useless because education is useless according to them and 'only practice and manual work matters'. Additionally, these people call engineers useless and they go about to argue that "without hard labor workers, engineers have nothing to put their theory to practice". I disagree, because that is not always true. I could go on and on about how and why but I just wanted to provide some examples.

I feel ashamed for humanity that hey can't apply basic Aristotlean logic because they are too lazy to use their brain. It is saddening.

Practice versus theory, what do you think? What are your arguments on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)

Practice versus theory, what do you think? What are your arguments on this?

I don't have years to repair such a major lack of education and I do not have that quickness to invent examples that would provide an instant and striking explain on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    I don't have years to repair such a major lack of education and I do not have that quickness to invent examples that would provide an instant and striking explain on the matter.
    I don't understand what you mean by this reply. Are you telling me I lack education (obviously I don't because I have a degree, which includes philosophy and deontology), or are you saying the people who criticize theoretical value do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)
    , or are you saying the people who criticize theoretical value do?
    The second.
    The criticizm you mention, clearly comes from lack of knowledge of what a theory is, what is an organization of modern science, and what are limitations of human cognitive abilities and human language.

I would join such discussion If I talked to children and decided to play a role of Socrates, but among adults the theme question is not more usefull than "Do you know the issue or not".
    The present state of science and it's philosophy is so advanced and so established, that asking for an opinion in this matter is same as trying to find the best machine for a very specific task, through democracic voting on question:

"Which is cooler in general, a truck or a bus?"

ReputationRep:
    Without theoretical minds, the level of practise wouldn't be what it is today. We'd still be tribal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.