Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Undergraduate Music Course: Birmingham, Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester or Edinburgh? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am an International Student from Singapore looking to apply for undergraduate study in the UK for 2017 entry. Unfortunately I'm not able to make a trip down to the universities to have a look at the campuses and faculties so I'll have to base my choices off information available on the internet. I did a diploma in trumpet performance from an arts institution locally and also hold ABRSM Grade 8 in piano and music theory.

I would like to know which unis are generally more popular with great graduate prospects for their music courses, particularly those that focus on research and academics as I'm not keen in studying performance. The league tables didn't seem to be very reliable as the uni ranks fluctuate rather significantly year to year. Do any of these unis not require performance as a core module at all? Also, which would be the most musically-happening city?

Would be great if I'm able to get some information from the community here. Thanks all in advance!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicholasOngRT)
    Hi guys,

I am an International Student from Singapore looking to apply for undergraduate study in the UK for 2017 entry. Unfortunately I'm not able to make a trip down to the universities to have a look at the campuses and faculties so I'll have to base my choices off information available on the internet. I did a diploma in trumpet performance from an arts institution locally and also hold ABRSM Grade 8 in piano and music theory.

I would like to know which unis are generally more popular with great graduate prospects for their music courses, particularly those that focus on research and academics as I'm not keen in studying performance. The league tables didn't seem to be very reliable as the uni ranks fluctuate rather significantly year to year. Do any of these unis not require performance as a core module at all? Also, which would be the most musically-happening city?

Would be great if I'm able to get some information from the community here. Thanks all in advance!
    Hi! Sorry for replying late. I do not personally know which - if any! - of these unis would require you to study performance. This is something you can research by looking at departmental websites. If it helps, though, the most prestigious of these unis is Manchester (which I imagine would also be the most musically-happening city!)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, its Amanda here from BCU. Have you looked at the courses offered by our Conservatoire? We'll have a brand new building in 2017 too! See www.bcu.ac.uk/conservatoire

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a diploma in trumpet too! Have you looked at queens university belfast? Their music department is excellent and performance modules are optional therefore you can just play for fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieorr1998)
    Hi I have a diploma in trumpet too! Have you looked at queens university belfast? Their music department is excellent and performance modules are optional therefore you can just play for fun
    I haven't looked at Queen's. Are you applying there? What do you intend to major in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have applied for music , music with audio production and music with sound design! I have all 3 offers as well. I'm most likely going to accept audio production because I am able to do a bit of everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieorr1998)
    Yeah I have applied for music , music with audio production and music with sound design! I have all 3 offers as well. I'm most likely going to accept audio production because I am able to do a bit of everything
    Wow. Congrats! All the best to you then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.