Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently managed to drown my 1st gen Samsung A5 in the toilet and need to sort out a plan of action if the rice doesn't fix it.

Would it be worth getting it repaired, or should I get a new one?
    I can get somewhere in the region of £400 but I always spend way too much on one and regret it. Can anyone suggest a good, reasonably priced phone? I've always used Android because iPhone's are so expensive, unless there is a cheap way to get a hold of one.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at china phones. Xiaomi range and oneplus3 etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I'm thinking the OnePlus X, I like the design and I don't see why I should pay £200 more for a less appealing device.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm currently using a Nexus 6P. Still works like it did the day I got it, I get updates faster than anyone else and it can compete with any other flagship device of its time at a fraction of the cost. It's a solid device to use nowadays. Alongside that it has the best fingerprint sensor I've ever used and dual front facing speakers are refreshing. Since it was released last year expect a new model soon. We should be seeing the new 2016 Nexus phones within the next few months and the majority of the big info on them has leaked already.

Another device that recently caught my eye was the ZTE Axon 7. It seems to take a lot of the things I liked about the Nexus and improve on them. Bigger battery, micro SD slot, thinner bezels without compromising the front dual speakers. And it should still be cheaper than a modern flagship from the likes of Apple or Samsung.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Oneplus 3 would be a good choice!

ReputationRep:
    The OnePlus 3 is the best phone at this price point, it gets astonishingly close to flagship-grade quality in almost every area. It's got the top tier chipset available to the Android industry and among the very best internal spec sheets of any phone, has a gorgeous screen despite "only" being 1080p, has a solid camera, excellent build quality, and decent battery life which charges ridiculously quickly with the included cable and charger (0-60% from 0% in under an hour). You won't get a better phone for your money unless you have very specific needs, or are buying a 2016 flagship second hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The OnePlus 3 is the best phone at this price point, it gets astonishingly close to flagship-grade quality in almost every area. It's got the top tier chipset available to the Android industry and among the very best internal spec sheets of any phone, has a gorgeous screen despite "only" being 1080p, has a solid camera, excellent build quality, and decent battery life which charges ridiculously quickly with the included cable and charger (0-60% from 0% in under an hour). You won't get a better phone for your money unless you have very specific needs, or are buying a 2016 flagship second hand.
    Yup, definitely thinking the op3 unless my budget falls short in which I will go with the opX.
    You would chose the op3 over the Honor 8 right? That's the only competition I can find for the op3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I'm currently using a Nexus 6P. Still works like it did the day I got it, I get updates faster than anyone else and it can compete with any other flagship device of its time at a fraction of the cost. It's a solid device to use nowadays. Alongside that it has the best fingerprint sensor I've ever used and dual front facing speakers are refreshing. Since it was released last year expect a new model soon. We should be seeing the new 2016 Nexus phones within the next few months and the majority of the big info on them has leaked already.

Another device that recently caught my eye was the ZTE Axon 7. It seems to take a lot of the things I liked about the Nexus and improve on them. Bigger battery, micro SD slot, thinner bezels without compromising the front dual speakers. And it should still be cheaper than a modern flagship from the likes of Apple or Samsung.
    (Original post by Monkey Monkeyson)
    Oneplus 3 would be a good choice!
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    OnePlus3 or Huawei Honor 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryIsASloth)
    Yup, definitely thinking the op3 unless my budget falls short in which I will go with the opX.
    You would chose the op3 over the Honor 8 right? That's the only competition I can find for the op3.
    Personally yes (well I've just bought one :ahee:) , there's not a huge amount in it but the larger screen (in a body not much larger or heavier) and the lower cost tip it for me. I also think it's better designed, and the results I've seen from both cameras look better from the 3 imo. And all for £80-ish less, according to the meagre amount of Googling I can do at sea!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I'd go for the Oneplus 3.

Specs aside, Oneplus' OxygenOS is pretty close to stock Android - works really well. Oneplus are quite open to development as well so you've got a large selection of ROMs if you did want to change it. They're reliable (if a little slow) with Android updates, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Personally yes (well I've just bought one :ahee:) , there's not a huge amount in it but the larger screen (in a body not much larger or heavier) and the lower cost tip it for me. I also think it's better designed, and the results I've seen from both cameras look better from the 3 imo. And all for £80-ish less, according to the meagre amount of Googling I can do at sea!
    I found an £8 price difference!
    Is there anywhere cheaper to get the op3 rather than direct from the op site?
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey Monkeyson)
    I'd go for the Oneplus 3.

Specs aside, Oneplus' OxygenOS is pretty close to stock Android - works really well. Oneplus are quite open to development as well so you've got a large selection of ROMs if you did want to change it. They're reliable (if a little slow) with Android updates, too.
    Yup, I've used the OxygenOS before and I find it a lot more aesthetic than particularly Samsung phones, I will probably end up using a custom ROM for Titanium backup and Xposed framework. And hey, they have to be better than Samsung with updates, I'm still on Lollipop!
    Thank you for your help, definitely gonna get the op3.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Good choice! I had the Oneplus 2 and was really pleased with it.

Got an HTC 10 as an upgrade a little while back, which is really good but kind of regret not holding out for the OP3.

ReputationRep:
    I found an £8 price difference!
    Is there anywhere cheaper to get the op3 rather than direct from the op site?
    Thanks for your help
    Ah ok, I only had a chance to check Amazon. OP sell direct to most countries outside of Asia and don't have other authorised retailers, but there are probably resellers online who cut a bit of the price off.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OnePlus3 or Huawei Honor 8?
    Depends what you want really. There's not an awful lot between them and one good thing with one device is counteracted by another good thing on the other.

Personally for me the size of the screen would be what decides it. The difference between 5.2 and 5.5 inches is noticeable but not a deciding factor everyone. A lot of other major features are similar, such as battery size and screen resolution. The 3 main differences I can see are:

Screen size (5.5 vs 5.2)
    64GB vs 32/64GB and an SD Card for storage
    6GB vs 3/4GB of RAM

There's other stuff, like the camera MP, shooting resolution and so on but they're less major for me.

It's be tough to choose between the 2. 6GB of RAM gives longevity but so does an SD Card. Overall I'd be more inclined to go with the OnePlus 3 although if Huawei uses similar quality to that found in my Nexus 6P you'd be happy with either. A tough choice for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Depends what you want really. There's not an awful lot between them and one good thing with one device is counteracted by another good thing on the other.

Personally for me the size of the screen would be what decides it. The difference between 5.2 and 5.5 inches is noticeable but not a deciding factor everyone. A lot of other major features are similar, such as battery size and screen resolution. The 3 main differences I can see are:

Screen size (5.5 vs 5.2)
    64GB vs 32/64GB and an SD Card for storage
    6GB vs 3/4GB of RAM

There's other stuff, like the camera MP, shooting resolution and so on but they're less major for me.

It's be tough to choose between the 2. 6GB of RAM gives longevity but so does an SD Card. Overall I'd be more inclined to go with the OnePlus 3 although if Huawei uses similar quality to that found in my Nexus 6P you'd be happy with either. A tough choice for sure
    I've ordered the OP3!
    I did get it off eBay for £40 above RRP but the shipping off the OP.net site is 4 weeks away and I leave in 2 weeks!

Thanks for everyone's help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.