Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking additional further pure maths (&FP3) on my own watch

ReputationRep:
    This has been bugging me for quite a while towards the end of my AS-Levels. Firstly i had started purchasing books for the courses i would be studying and i bought my MEI FP2 and FP3 Book as i am continuing with further maths through A level only to be told that in fact we do not do FP3.

I had told my Sixth form/College that i dearly would want to do FP3 and they seem to tell me that no one is there to teach me (even though that isn't an issue). I was planning to learn FP3 on my own and enter the exam since i relatively learn most of my subjects on my own anyways and find answers online rather than from teachers.

I'm considering of going to my local exams office to apply for the subject instead, since my teachers are likely to refuse as I am already taking 5 A levels, but there are 3 problems.

My teacher keeps waving off the final answer on the matter
    (potentially trying to make me wait till its too late and simple respond with oh I'm sorry). He had also told me to talk to him again in September I would rather be entered quickly as oppose to waiting forever.

As I like the MEI FP3 module the best i was hoping to enter for that but I'm not sure if I can get a 100% guaranteed entry just by going to the exams office
    (Does anyone know how this works?).

I took my initiative and on the very first day emailed OCR to be told that they said i had to visit my closest exams office, a bit self-explanatory.

Does anyone have any particular thoughts/tips/advice on this?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoba)
    This has been bugging me for quite a while towards the end of my AS-Levels. Firstly i had started purchasing books for the courses i would be studying and i bought my MEI FP2 and FP3 Book as i am continuing with further maths through A level only to be told that in fact we do not do FP3.

I had told my Sixth form/College that i dearly would want to do FP3 and they seem to tell me that no one is there to teach me (even though that isn't an issue). I was planning to learn FP3 on my own and enter the exam since i relatively learn most of my subjects on my own anyways and find answers online rather than from teachers.

I'm considering of going to my local exams office to apply for the subject instead, since my teachers are likely to refuse as I am already taking 5 A levels, but there are 3 problems.

My teacher keeps waving off the final answer on the matter
    (potentially trying to make me wait till its too late and simple respond with oh I'm sorry). He had also told me to talk to him again in September I would rather be entered quickly as oppose to waiting forever.

As I like the MEI FP3 module the best i was hoping to enter for that but I'm not sure if I can get a 100% guaranteed entry just by going to the exams office
    (Does anyone know how this works?).

I took my initiative and on the very first day emailed OCR to be told that they said i had to visit my closest exams office, a bit self-explanatory.

Does anyone have any particular thoughts/tips/advice on this?
    Hey,

I had the exact same problem (except for the fact that my teachers didn't really care, they just let me do it). My advice is that, If you want to do it and you are capable of doing it, then by all means do it. For my Further Maths A2, I did 4 modules, which were S2, M2, FP2 and FP3 (FP3 was the one I self taught). It's not impossible to do it, but as no teacher is around to help you, it means that you need to find time out of school to get a textbook, go over the topics in detail and then do your own exam practice.

One of my further maths teachers insisted in me doing Mocks every week for FP3 which was great. However, this isn't really needed, as you could just do it at home.

In summary, you can do as many modules as you want. If you think you can do it and you are willing to put your best into it, then do it! You don't speak to the teachers anyway, just speak to the exams officer and get it signed up. In terms of how it works, you just need to inform the exams officer what you wish to take, if the exams officer is from the school, costs will be covered, if it isn't from school, you may need to pay the costs (don't quote me on that). At the end of the day it will effect you and not the teachers, so they should allow you do it. Although I would say, the fact that you are doing 5 A Levels is quite tough, it will all depend on your time management and your commitment.

If you have any further questions about concerns or about Maths, then you can ask me.

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need your teacher if you're good at maths. It's not that hard to self-study A Level maths. That being said though, the content in MEI maths is completely different from what most other exam boards offer. I would usually offer help but there's not much I can do here. ^^

But I've been very keen on learning some of the stuff in FP3 but I'm not sure if I should bother with reading another A Level module or just try to pick up a university textbook. As far as I can tell, the way maths is taught and tested in MEI is a lot more mathsy than the others.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.