Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the job hunt for an entire month, and nothing.

Not a single reply (automated emails excluded). I've been around my area handing out CVs, send as many emails as possible everyday, and check job sites every day for sutable jobs, but nothing :mad: !

It's just so fustraiting alot of my friends arent looking for jobs as they dont need them, or a few have got jobs through friends or parents, and none of them understand how hard it is.
    As time rolls on it seems less and less likely that i'll get and job. And without earning at least alittle money this summer i wont be able to go to uni this autumn ;no;
    Help me, where am i going wrong? I'm signed up with every temp agency in my area and still no work. I'm not an idiot, im friendly well-presented and would do anything to my best ablities so why is no one employing me!!!??

ReputationRep:
    I know EXACTLY how you feel.... I've been job hunting for almost a year now and nothing... In a way its good to live in a place which such high-unemployment.. but obviously when your looking for a job its just depressing! No one seems to understand - all my friends have jobs, which they seemed to get almost instantly - seriously they apply for one job and get their first one - I've had interviews on my own, group interviews, employment days..nothing but its just ridiculous how many people are going for one job...It does get you down.
    Tbh You don't sound like your doing anything wrong - cvs, applications, the lot - even temping agencys which is one step further then me - how does that work? Do you just pop in? We have quite a few round here but I've always thought its just full-timers, i can really only work weekends/evenings..

Well keep positive Something will allways come up.. if not just concentrate on your studies and get a fantastic job when you finnish!

ReputationRep:
    universities normally help you in finding a job dont they?
    I looked for a job during my second year of A Levels but i think my problem was I was too fussy and only concentrated on basic retail jobs. There are other jobs you could do like working in hotels, bar work, maybe even office work? Ive seen vacancies for part time evening receptionists and stuff so maybe you could try widening your options.
    After leaving college im now looking for a full time job so i no how hard it is. I have sent off over 40 cvs and applications this past month and to date ive had one interview that im waitin to hear back from so fingers crossed!!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position, I know too many people who have jobs through connections which is VERY annoying! But just keep at it. Perhaps take a day off from looking at the job sites, doing so just adds to your annoyance.

Yeah, you need the money probably (like me) but find something you like to do with all this spare time while you're waiting for a job (i.e: reading / exercise / whatever).

ReputationRep:
    Took me forever to find a job, just keep looking. Don't give up hope, that's the most important thing. You will get one eventually!

ReputationRep:
    become an avon reprsentative

ReputationRep:
    I feel and have done exactly the same, it's so annoying. I just feel like giving up, but need the money...

ReputationRep:
    There still is plenty of time left, I've got 10 weeks left of potential work, so that's not that bad. If I can get something in a week or two full time, then that's potentially a nice £1,500 which will help a lot for me!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

It just feels like as time goes on the less and less likely it will be that i get a job

I've tried office work, retail, waitress/bar work but no luck. Its soo annoying i know i could do any of them, and i would work sooooooooo hard for anyone who would employ me because i need the money so much.
    Ahh well the search continues...it's just so disheartening

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel! I started looking before I even came home for the summer but then went on a family holiday in june for 2 weeks and still not managed anything! only had one interview and plenty of rejections without even an interview.. It makes me feel so depressed especially when my mum reminds me that I probably wont find anything now.. :rolleyes: at least I'll still be in Bournemouth next year cos of my tenancy being a bit longer so I can carry on with whatever job I manage to get when I move in sept!

(Original post by m123)
    become an avon reprsentative
    that's not always a good idea, especially when people dont want it (Ive tried it before mehh)

ReputationRep:
    why dont you guys try doing some volunteering jobs, eg. working at a charity shop or volunteer at some charity office. Even though you wont be getting paid youll at least be doing something and getting some sort of experience. Then when you do find a job, it wont be hard to leave the volunteering job (i assume)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know how you feel, OP. I've been looking for a job for 6 weeks and no luck yet. I'm looking for office work, I would do data entry, tea making, anything. I'm a law graduate with a good degree, I thought it would be so much easier than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desert Eagle)
    why dont you guys try doing some volunteering jobs, eg. working at a charity shop or volunteer at some charity office. Even though you wont be getting paid youll at least be doing something and getting some sort of experience. Then when you do find a job, it wont be hard to leave the volunteering job (i assume)
    because what I need is money (it costs £2.70 on the bus so it's not worth it if I'm not making any money!) and I dont have much time, I'm moving down to Bournemouth at the beginning of September.. I hope I have some luck finding a job there as it will be more long term.. Besides I have plenty of experience

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm looking too and it's no fun at all. Holidays are supposed to be enjoyable but I'm feeling decidedly glum. Doesn't help when parents nag: arrrrgh.

Tomorrow is a mega-job-hunting trip in town so hopefully that will yield a result.

Good luck to y'all anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you guys are desperate, try McDonalds or Burger King etc. They're almost always employing and i'm guessing everyone here would be easily accepted. Yeh, it's not glamorous but work isn't meant to be pleasurable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    I know how you feel! I started looking before I even came home for the summer but then went on a family holiday in june for 2 weeks and still not managed anything! only had one interview and plenty of rejections without even an interview.. It makes me feel so depressed especially when my mum reminds me that I probably wont find anything now.. :rolleyes: at least I'll still be in Bournemouth next year cos of my tenancy being a bit longer so I can carry on with whatever job I manage to get when I move in sept!

that's not always a good idea, especially when people dont want it (Ive tried it before mehh)
    One thing I've done, and maybe you should consider it, is I've got my area train map and searched for jobs near train stations on my line.

Find a map (on nationalrail) look in both directions, search on google the train station "____ train station" and look for the postcode, then on jobcenterplus.gov.uk enter that postcode and 5 miles distance and see what comes up.

Most fares are reasonable to close stations to you, like £1-3. The idea of working up to 25miles away sounds scary, but 20minues on a train and £2.50 a day return ticket? It's not going to be killing you to do it!

Just make sure you get can to/from train station, and to the place of work (so ideally no more than a mile away from train station).

I've found 3 so far, but not applied yet as I'm holding out to hear about a job on Monday first, but I'll be seriously considering it soon.

EDIT: Oh, you're in London? Well look for jobs in areas quite far from you, say 20minutes on the tube, you can cover a lot of area in all directions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spark911)
    One thing I've done, and maybe you should consider it, is I've got my area train map and searched for jobs near train stations on my line.

Find a map (on nationalrail) look in both directions, search on google the train station "____ train station" and look for the postcode, then on jobcenterplus.gov.uk enter that postcode and 5 miles distance and see what comes up.

Most fares are reasonable to close stations to you, like £1-3. The idea of working up to 25miles away sounds scary, but 20minues on a train and £2.50 a day return ticket? It's not going to be killing you to do it!

Just make sure you get can to/from train station, and to the place of work (so ideally no more than a mile away from train station).

I've found 3 so far, but not applied yet as I'm holding out to hear about a job on Monday first, but I'll be seriously considering it soon.

EDIT: Oh, you're in London? Well look for jobs in areas quite far from you, say 20minutes on the tube, you can cover a lot of area in all directions.
    Im not in London... anyway I never managed to find a job heh

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.