Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big girl. Size 16/18 gone down from 20/22 and still losing weight fast on some diet plans, but the problem is I have an interview with a consession stand in House of Fraser tomorrow. I go in there alot and the women are always tall, slim build, pretty and do their makeup and hair so well. I am not too short (5"7) but I am still a big girl and I don't see many people like me there.

Am I going to be judged? Is there any point in me going for this job if they are going to pick the same type of person they normally do? Anybody else had this experience? Or are you also bigger but have a job? So nervous I really wanted this job but I don't believe I have the right look! (It is at the watch station so not a make up or perfume stand!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzii342)
    I'm a big girl. Size 16/18 gone down from 20/22 and still losing weight fast on some diet plans, but the problem is I have an interview with a consession stand in House of Fraser tomorrow. I go in there alot and the women are always tall, slim build, pretty and do their makeup and hair so well. I am not too short (5"7) but I am still a big girl and I don't see many people like me there.

Am I going to be judged? Is there any point in me going for this job if they are going to pick the same type of person they normally do? Anybody else had this experience? Or are you also bigger but have a job? So nervous I really wanted this job but I don't believe I have the right look! (It is at the watch station so not a make up or perfume stand!)
    I doubt that the issue of weight will matter at all, they will be much more interested in how qualified you are for the job.

People come in all shapes and sizes, don't let it bother you. Good luck with the interview.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't hooters. I'm pretty certain if they've called you to interview, they have moderate interest in you. I wouldn't worry too much about you being discriminated about what you look like/what size you are. After all, I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

ReputationRep:
    HoF is just a store, it might sell fashionable stuff but by fashion retail jobs I thought you meant something like working for Gucci or Armani

In normal high street stores you can be any size, I'm pretty sure I've seen larger women working in HoF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELVsLP)
    HoF is just a store, it might sell fashionable stuff but by fashion retail jobs I thought you meant something like working for Gucci or Armani

In normal high street stores you can be any size, I'm pretty sure I've seen larger women working in HoF
    Yeah, I guess so! But I am working within the watch station which sells Michael Kors, Burberry, Vivienne Westwood! HoF is just a store but it does do those big brands inside, which is what I meant. They seem to all be those type of girls. But I don't know, maybe for the jewelery part they don't care! Will have to wait and see!

Thanks for replying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    This isn't hooters. I'm pretty certain if they've called you to interview, they have moderate interest in you. I wouldn't worry too much about you being discriminated about what you look like/what size you are. After all, I'm pretty sure that's illegal.
    True. I'm okay with the skill. I am a fashion student, have experience in a retail job for 2 years, and I have proven sales driving experience, BUT I feel like it won't matter if I'm not the image they like. The first interview was over the phone.

True it is illegal! But to be honest who is going to know they are descriminating? They can easily make up a reason to not hire me. But you're probably right, I have quite a bit of anxiety so my mind overthinks when it comes to these things!

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lockton)
    I doubt that the issue of weight will matter at all, they will be much more interested in how qualified you are for the job.

People come in all shapes and sizes, don't let it bother you. Good luck with the interview.
    Thanks for replying! Yeah I guess so! I just worry about these things sometimes haha! More worried about them judging me rather than actually getting the job!

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzii342)
    Yeah, I guess so! But I am working within the watch station which sells Michael Kors, Burberry, Vivienne Westwood! HoF is just a store but it does do those big brands inside, which is what I meant. They seem to all be those type of girls. But I don't know, maybe for the jewelery part they don't care! Will have to wait and see!
    All I'll suggest is to dress well for your size. I think thats what the common misconception is when it comes to bigger people, all the horrible stereotypes that comes with being overweight - that they won't look good, that they won't dress well, that they won't have any confidence... and I've been in many stores where the sales assistant is bigger but stylish, sassy and very confident. thats what they will be looking for. when you have attitude you are acknowledging that you don't let your weight define who you are. so when you go to that interview dress your best, go as stylish as you can - nice hair, good make up - and just be fun to interview. laugh, be cheerie, always smile. wear your body shape, don't let it wear you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    All I'll suggest is to dress well for your size. I think thats what the common misconception is when it comes to bigger people, all the horrible stereotypes that comes with being overweight - that they won't look good, that they won't dress well, that they won't have any confidence... and I've been in many stores where the sales assistant is bigger but stylish, sassy and very confident. thats what they will be looking for. when you have attitude you are acknowledging that you don't let your weight define who you are. so when you go to that interview dress your best, go as stylish as you can - nice hair, good make up - and just be fun to interview. laugh, be cheerie, always smile. wear your body shape, don't let it wear you.
    Aw thankyou for that! You're right, I guess it doesn't help that as well as letting weight define me I let anxiety define me- which fits into that stereotype, like they might think I'm anxious because of my weight! Went and splashed out on some fashionable clothes today and you're right I will just go and be unique and cheerful, try to bring something new to the table.

Thankyou, very inspiring, haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.