Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if all polos have the black cover on that says 1.4? To explain better, here is a picture:

Mine doesn't you see and was wondering where it went/if it was ever there, and if anyone else doesn't have one, as in they didn't fit them before such a year.

Thanks,

Chris

ReputationRep:
    my polo looks similar apart from looking newer (not being big-headed) meaning that the engine cover looks different but it does have a large 1.0 printed on the top so i dunno where yours went.. engine could have been replaced, or even just the cover replaced..!

ReputationRep:
    if i had silly plastic covers i'd put them in the bin too...
    I like to see an engine when I open the bonnet.
    Infact, i like to see my engine so much i cut 2 holes in the bonnet!!!

ReputationRep:
    lol. Maybe your engine, I think you'd want to hide it if you had my 1905cc diesel engine instead!

(Original post by P1N3R)
    I was just wondering if all polos have the black cover on that says 1.4?

Mine doesn't you see and was wondering where it went/if it was ever there, and if anyone else doesn't have one, as in they didn't fit them before such a year.

Thanks,

Chris
    Could have been removed I suppose, what year reg is your car?

ReputationRep:
    Its a P (1997)

I guess its possible it was removed though. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured just doesn't have the black plastic.

Another question, not specifically related to my car. When you put dipped headlights on, is it the same bulb as the main beams, or a totally different one? I was going to replace them with a couple of new ones, but not sure if i need 4 or just the 2

Thanks,

Chris

ReputationRep:
    chances are youd have had one from new. but any work on the engine and sombody could have got frustrated and broke it off? its competely unecessary anyways so dont worry about it. also my mate has one and he has the cover on.

ReputationRep:
    They put them on there because it stops stupid people from being scared when they open the bonnet.

Also without the cover the engine would look tiny when you open the bonnet.. especially on the 1Litre polos.

ReputationRep:
    Im fairly stupid. Not scared of my engine though... unless its raining. :/

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a 1996 polo 1.6 - that didn't have a plastic cover either. Parents owned it right from new so I'm pretty sure it has always been like that. Maybe the covers were only fitted after the car was facelifted (1999-2000???) to block out some of the engine noise etc.

The main and dipped beams are the same bulb so you just need 2.

ReputationRep:
    The bigger engines [1.6 onwards] didn't have the covers as they don't look so small.

My friend has a 1L polo.. the engine is the size of you hand [may not be accurate lol] without the cover, also another friend has a 1.2 clio it's the same without the cover.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 20, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.