Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been falling in art for the past year and now that I'm about to go into year 11 I want to get a start on my next project. My teacher said that it will be to do with the theme outlines...
    I have spent the last month trying to come up with ideas and I have many but I'm not really good with drawing. The weird thing is I'm good at drawing anime/manga.
    So I was going to do my project based on that and rpg games like final fantasy as artists but I'm not sure if this is appropriate or where to start.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who started with drawing Anime/Manga, I can tell you that it's helpful for the future but not a lot of people enjoy seeing anime or manga in projects because it's seen so much. Using fantasy as an idea for your next project is probably not a bad idea, but I'd suggest starting to develop your own style as it can be quite difficult to be different if you have one specific Anime/Manga style. Try to make it your own, so if you can pump some realism into it, great!
    I don't think you can get a head start as there are theme outlines which I think will be provided to you at the beginning of the unit so... perhaps try to improve yourself artistically before hand.

Can I see one of your pieces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jojorose)
    I have been falling in art for the past year and now that I'm about to go into year 11 I want to get a start on my next project. My teacher said that it will be to do with the theme outlines...
    I have spent the last month trying to come up with ideas and I have many but I'm not really good with drawing. The weird thing is I'm good at drawing anime/manga.
    So I was going to do my project based on that and rpg games like final fantasy as artists but I'm not sure if this is appropriate or where to start.
    I just finished gcse art (predicted a* so hopefully ill get it lol) and in the summer of year 10, I completed all the work I didn't finish from my sketchbook. Luckily, I was almost done but I advise you to improve your first book. Even if you don't have it on you, try and remember what drawings got you lower grades and re do them instead. In terms of your theme, I don't really know what you mean- do you mean the outline of a drawing? You could try a few of your ideas and show them to your teacher when u get back. Get started on a title page and a brainstorm too.

Also, how are your annotations? Annotations are a really easy way of boosting your grade.

Good luck and let me know if you need help or have a question .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ewandernoth)
    As someone who started with drawing Anime/Manga, I can tell you that it's helpful for the future but not a lot of people enjoy seeing anime or manga in projects because it's seen so much. Using fantasy as an idea for your next project is probably not a bad idea, but I'd suggest starting to develop your own style as it can be quite difficult to be different if you have one specific Anime/Manga style. Try to make it your own, so if you can pump some realism into it, great!
    I don't think you can get a head start as there are theme outlines which I think will be provided to you at the beginning of the unit so... perhaps try to improve yourself artistically before hand.

Can I see one of your pieces?
    I was going to use my favorite anime/ manga style artists and adapt it into my own style.I use more of a digital media,
    Name:  Asuna.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  35.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)
    I just finished gcse art (predicted a* so hopefully ill get it lol) and in the summer of year 10, I completed all the work I didn't finish from my sketchbook. Luckily, I was almost done but I advise you to improve your first book. Even if you don't have it on you, try and remember what drawings got you lower grades and re do them instead. In terms of your theme, I don't really know what you mean- do you mean the outline of a drawing? You could try a few of your ideas and show them to your teacher when u get back. Get started on a title page and a brainstorm too.

Also, how are your annotations? Annotations are a really easy way of boosting your grade.

Good luck and let me know if you need help or have a question .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She wasn't really clear with what she meant but i think it was the outline of a drawing and I have started to improve my previous work. I'm not too sure on my annotations I sometimes write too little or too much.

ReputationRep:
    That was ome of the themes I could choose from last year, I didn't though. Outline is quite good with manga/anime, as outline requires no shading, and neither does most anime.
    Most people juat drew lots of different shapes, one of my friends focused on creating her hands with wire, and she done many things in her book using one continuous piece of string!! Its all about looking at it in a different way

ReputationRep:
    research artists that do what you want to and find out how they do it. write down what you find out in your sketchbook, do some test pieces with annotations explaining what you like/don't, how you did it, how you will improve etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jojorose)
    She wasn't really clear with what she meant but i think it was the outline of a drawing and I have started to improve my previous work. I'm not too sure on my annotations I sometimes write too little or too much.
    In our school we have a structure for our annotations so say for example your analysing the work of another artist you researched you do:

Content: what it contains at first glance, similarity to other pieces of the artist's work

Composition: comment on shape, colour tone, line and texture and object arrangement

Media: did they use paint, pencil etc how will you experiment with the media in your response?

Style: how was the media applied? What genre of work is it?

Context: when was it made; does the time period influence the work? Was the work accepted at the time? How is it viewed today?

Concept: mood of work and message

So you do six short paragraphs and add a sentence about how it relates to your theme- that's really important!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As for annotating your own mention:

What it is that you have drawn
    How and why you have used shape, texture, lines and tone
    The equipment and used and the process you used
    Whether or not you are happy with your outcome and how you can improve it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can experiment with out lining using different textures, maybe draw a relief, use a polyboard and make prints of outlines of nature, objects etc., and when you are at the initial stages of your outlines, think about things like distortion, abstraction, enlargement, disecting lines (look at Sonia Delaunay's work dissecting lines with geometric shapes) but make sure whatever you chose to focus on for this theme, plan ahead and make sure you have a lot of different initial drawings from different angles.

ReputationRep:
    Also I suggest if you are going to focus on anime, maybe layer your line drawings, (I had to do this in year 11 for my self portraits) it creats very interesting shapes and it would help to have different facial expressions and angles as well as view points. Hope this helped 😊

ReputationRep:
    Also I suggest if you are going to focus on anime, maybe layer your line drawings, (I had to do this in year 11 for my self portraits) it creats very interesting shapes and it would help to have different facial expressions and angles as well as view points. Hope this helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.