Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How good is the economics course at Surrey? I know the league table doesn't tell the whole story about how good a course is, but looking at the amount of places there are in clearing, it doesn't look too good.

Any responses from current students would also be welcome.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by danbomb123)
    How good is the economics course at Surrey? I know the league table doesn't tell the whole story about how good a course is, but looking at the amount of places there are in clearing, it doesn't look too good.

Any responses from current students would also be welcome.
    Hi, I've just finished my first year of Economics and Finance which has a common first year with the pure Economics course. It's hard to say what "good" is, but I'll give you some ideas of what I feel are some strengths of the course. I generally feel that Surrey is underrated, perhaps because it hasn't been around as long as some of the more established Russell Groups, but they have thrown a lot of resources at their Economics department and I'm happy with my time here so far.

The course content is very good imo, with a blend of some familiar material and new concepts so you're not just rehashing A-Level material in the first year. I'd say half of the modules are maths or stats related at first. The maths isn't too difficult - you're introduced to mathematical notation of common concepts, simultaneous equations with economic applications and univariate calculus in the first semester, before moving on to partial derivatives, multivariate calculus, total differentials and a bit of financial maths in the second. The statistics stuff will generally be a refresher of S1 and S2, as well as playing around in Excel.

The economic modules are more challenging. Micro is generally A-Level material but with some new things like consumer theory, but Macro will introduce you to several new models of economics and a very thorough treatment of macro topics from the get go. Content wise, macroeconomics is one of the biggest strengths of the first year programme in my opinion. It was far more challenging than I expected but you learn more and get more out of it. The second semester module covers stuff that I know some other Russell Group universities only study from the second semester of second year (I won't name which uni).

Ignoring the content of the modules, Surrey is great if you want to do a placement year in industry. They really push students to do a placement which can be great for careers, both to figure out whether a career path you thought of is what you enjoy after all, and to get hands on experience and connections before you graduate.

I realise you probably still have some questions so feel free to ask me about specific aspects that you want to know about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Hi, I've just finished my first year of Economics and Finance which has a common first year with the pure Economics course. It's hard to say what "good" is, but I'll give you some ideas of what I feel are some strengths of the course. I generally feel that Surrey is underrated, perhaps because it hasn't been around as long as some of the more established Russell Groups, but they have thrown a lot of resources at their Economics department and I'm happy with my time here so far.

The course content is very good imo, with a blend of some familiar material and new concepts so you're not just rehashing A-Level material in the first year. I'd say half of the modules are maths or stats related at first. The maths isn't too difficult - you're introduced to mathematical notation of common concepts, simultaneous equations with economic applications and univariate calculus in the first semester, before moving on to partial derivatives, multivariate calculus, total differentials and a bit of financial maths in the second. The statistics stuff will generally be a refresher of S1 and S2, as well as playing around in Excel.

The economic modules are more challenging. Micro is generally A-Level material but with some new things like consumer theory, but Macro will introduce you to several new models of economics and a very thorough treatment of macro topics from the get go. Content wise, macroeconomics is one of the biggest strengths of the first year programme in my opinion. It was far more challenging than I expected but you learn more and get more out of it. The second semester module covers stuff that I know some other Russell Group universities only study from the second semester of second year (I won't name which uni).

Ignoring the content of the modules, Surrey is great if you want to do a placement year in industry. They really push students to do a placement which can be great for careers, both to figure out whether a career path you thought of is what you enjoy after all, and to get hands on experience and connections before you graduate.

I realise you probably still have some questions so feel free to ask me about specific aspects that you want to know about.
    Hi what grades did you get at a level. And do they have good links if I wanted to have a career in finance/banking?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.