Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im wondering what everyone else is doing in terms of funding.
    For me, I will probably receive my first installment a week into the term- so I do not really have any way of paying a deposit on student accommodation, buying travel tickets or stationary.
    To further add to my dilemma, I am unemployed with virtually no part time jobs in my area. (Or at the very least none that I can start immediately in time for when I need the money). Because of this, my bank (Lloyds) will not offer me a student card, leaving me with a basic account with no overdraft.

Any advice, or sites I can use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua224)
    For me, I will probably receive my first installment a week into the term- so I do not really have any way of paying a deposit on student accommodation, buying travel tickets or stationary.
    To further add to my dilemma, I am unemployed with virtually no part time jobs in my area. (Or at the very least none that I can start immediately in time for when I need the money). Because of this, my bank (Lloyds) will not offer me a student card, leaving me with a basic account with no overdraft.

Shop around and check out other banks.

Few students will be employed between school and university, so that shouldn't be an issue. Most banks just need proof that you have a confirmed place at uni, and a guarantee that your Student Finance will be paid into that account. The only thing which might affect student account availability, would be your credit score. However, again, most students won't have one yet.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

They ll give you one once your place is confirmed, if not just switch banks as a private loan isn't something you d get a decent rate with and could end badly.

ReputationRep:

As others have said, you don't need to be employed to get a student account. I wasn't and I got one with Natwest with a £500 overdraft. The only 'good' thing in my favour was that I was on the electoral role, although I didn't have any black marks either. Many soon to be university students also get help from parents, mine drove me to uni, bought me kitchenware and bedding and food for the first week. I appreciate though not everyones parents are able to do this.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Thank you two for your advice

(Original post by jelly1000)
    As others have said, you don't need to be employed to get a student account. I wasn't and I got one with Natwest with a £500 overdraft. The only 'good' thing in my favour was that I was on the electoral role, although I didn't have any black marks either. Many soon to be university students also get help from parents, mine drove me to uni, bought me kitchenware and bedding and food for the first week. I appreciate though not everyones parents are able to do this.*
    Thanks for this information, I have set in motion an account switch to Natwest, this should help me hit the ground running.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.