The Student Room Group

I work on a Clearing Helpline, AMA!

FRESH THREAD FOR 2018 RESULTS DAY, PLEASE GO THERE IF YOU WANT HELP!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5514194&p=79189 686#post79189686

*AMAs are more appropriate for chat, but since this one is about clearing, I think it is better placed in this forum*

So, from the title: I work at my uni's Clearing Helpline, which is actually really fun! So I thought I would make an AMA so people can ask questions about Clearing, and generally what it is like to deal with students and their queries, etc etc.

So ask away! :h:

Edit: Disclaimer - I am not a god expert on UCAS matters (though I like to think that I have a good knowledge of such things). I am answering these questions based on my own experiences and my training. So, please, don't go quoting me. I don't want to mess up anyone's applications.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
*AMAs are more appropriate for chat, but since this one is about clearing, I think it is better placed in this forum*

So, from the title: I work at my uni's Clearing Helpline, which is actually really fun! So I thought I would make an AMA so people can ask questions about Clearing, and generally what it is like to deal with students and their queries, etc etc.

I'd like to know whether Unis reduce usual offers for clearing candidates please?
Original post by Airmed

And here the titled had me worried so glad to see its you :smile: Hope you have fun at work tomorrow :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Wantsnoffer
I'd like to know whether Unis reduce usual offers for clearing candidates please?

At my university, we haven't. We certainly didn't last week during the Scottish Higher results day. I have checked the courses and they seem to be same offers from during the main UCAS cycle.

However, this is not the same for all universities, and it is always best to phone up and check, rather than relying solely on their website. :h:
Original post by Airmed

Am I allowed to ask you questions to annoy you? :pierre:
Reply 5
Hi, are you told something by your superiors along the line of "If they have below BBC just hang up" and are you given a set "Accept grades from AAA to BBC and pass them on to an academic tutor" ?
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
And here the titled had me worried so glad to see its you :smile: Hope you have fun at work tomorrow :smile:

Oh gosh, I hope I don't have the whole Uni ST members worried now. :tongue: Whoops, sorry. I am actually looking forward to it! I am dealing with calls coming in, so it should be fun.

Original post by usycool1
Am I allowed to ask you questions to annoy you? :pierre:

Please, annoy me! You're my TSR one true love, Usy. :love:
Original post by Airmed

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how exactly should we as candidates go about speaking to you when on the phone? Should we introduce ourselves firstly, then explain our situation? Seems like a silly question, I'm just trying to get an idea about how that conversation would go (assuming a scenario where the candidate is calling you about a clearing vacancy) :smile:

Also if a course that you have advertised in Clearing has entry requirements of say AAB, if a candidate rang you up with ABB, what would the chances be of them being accepted?*
Original post by Airmed
Please, annoy me! You're my TSR one true love, Usy. :love:

What is this 'love'? :colonhash:
Reply 9
Original post by Zakriah
Hi, are you told something by your superiors along the line of "If they have below BBC just hang up" and are you given a set "Accept grades from AAA to BBC and pass them on to an academic tutor" ?

No! In fact, we just generally ask where they are calling from (to determine fee status), then ask what course they are interested in, and then directing them to either filling out an online form themselves, or getting us to do it for them over the phone. We will take all applications, as long as they are open on Clearing. Otherwise, it is just an enquiry.
Reply 10
Original post by Fas
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how exactly should we as candidates go about speaking to you when on the phone? Should we introduce ourselves firstly, then explain our situation? Seems like a silly question, I'm just trying to get an idea about how that conversation would go (assuming a scenario where the candidate is calling you about a clearing vacancy) :smile:

Also if a course that you have advertised in Clearing has entry requirements of say AAB, if a candidate rang you up with ABB, what would the chances be of them being accepted?*

First of all, just remember to be as calm as you can be. It's a stressful time for everyone! Just say your name, where you are calling from, and then say you are enquiring whether or not there is any spaces in the course you are interested in.

That depends on the uni, but it is possible! Even if you have missed your firm by one grade, it is still possible to be accepted. It just depends on the course.

Original post by usycool1
What is this 'love'? :colonhash:

Usy, you are the true ruler of Study Help. You should not share your throne with @Gingerbread101. You are the most wonderful person ever, a shining light to us all. That is the love. :yep:
Reply 11
Original post by Airmed

What a great idea for a thread! You got this...

Is there one key thing students should do BEFORE they call you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
What a great idea for a thread! You got this...

Is there one key thing students should do BEFORE they call you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw, thanks! :hugs:

Ooh, hard question actually! I could list so many things, like UCAS Clearing number, grades, etc... But I think what is important is that the student should know whether or not they would actually be happy at this uni if they got an offer through Clearing. I would honestly advise against phoning up every single uni you can just to see if they have a vacancy for the course you want to do. A student should weigh up all their options before picking up that phone.
Do we ring up our firm university first asking them to release us from the offer (i want to go through clearing even if i meet the requirements for my firm) first or do we ring the university that we want to go to first?
Original post by Airmed
Oh gosh, I hope I don't have the whole Uni ST members worried now. :tongue: Whoops, sorry. I am actually looking forward to it! I am dealing with calls coming in, so it should be fun.

We won't be worried now, it's good to have someone on the inside on the team:tongue:
Original post by Carmenleeoxo
Do we ring up our firm university first asking them to release us from the offer (i want to go through clearing even if i meet the requirements for my firm) first or do we ring the university that we want to go to first?

You can use adjustment if you exceed your offer:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by claireestelle
We won't be worried now, it's good to have someone on the inside on the team:tongue:

True.:tongue: Tomorrow will be better because we will be able to give out offers compared to the poor Scottish students.
B-b-breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:

Spoiler

If I go into clearing is it still possible to get a place into one of my top two choices even if I've been rejected? what are the chances of being accepted in this scenario on the second attempt?
Reply 19
Original post by Carmenleeoxo

As Claire says, use adjustment if you exceed your firm offer, because it means that just in case you don't get an offer through Clearing, you still have the firm to rely on.

At my uni, we can take applications from people who hold offers elsewhere (some unis DON'T do this, however, so please check). If we make an offer though, we require you to inform your firm and UCAS though so that you can be released into Clearing.

Latest

Trending

Trending