The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Airmed
Aw, thanks! :hugs:

Ooh, hard question actually! I could list so many things, like UCAS Clearing number, grades, etc... But I think what is important is that the student should know whether or not they would actually be happy at this uni if they got an offer through Clearing. I would honestly advise against phoning up every single uni you can just to see if they have a vacancy for the course you want to do. A student should weigh up all their options before picking up that phone.

Oh sorry didn't want to put you on the spot. Oh wait, you've already done that yourself! :smile:

Next question... What time do you have to get up tomorrow? And what's for breakfast?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a student from the EU hoping to apply through clearing tomorrow. I have a diploma from secondary school in Belgium. Can EU students apply in this way, and are the people who answer the phones familiar with the grade system in Belgium? I have 71% in my diploma - what does that equate to in A-level money?
Reply 22
Original post by hspooner98
If I go into clearing is it still possible to get a place into one of my top two choices even if I've been rejected? what are the chances of being accepted in this scenario on the second attempt?

If you have been rejected by your firm and insurance, it is rather unlikely you will get into them through Clearing on the same course.

Original post by iEthan
B-b-breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:

Spoiler

U wot m8?

Bran flakes.

:tongue:
I'm a mature student (23!) still filling out my UCAS application this evening, I had 10 A's at GCSE but 2 D's at A level. Is there much chance of me getting on a course through clearing or would I be better off doing some sort of access course this year and applying for next year instead? I would love to go this september!
Reply 24
Original post by jneill
Oh sorry didn't want to put you on the spot. Oh wait, you've already done that yourself! :smile:

Next question... What time do you have to get up tomorrow? And what's for breakfast?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:awesome:

I have to be in for work at 7.30 tomorrow and on Friday too. They are bringing food in for us, so bacon baps all round!

Original post by ellen.smith
I am a student from the EU hoping to apply through clearing tomorrow. I have a diploma from secondary school in Belgium. Can EU students apply in this way, and are the people who answer the phones familiar with the grade system in Belgium? I have 71% in my diploma - what does that equate to in A-level money?

Yes, still apply! However, not many people will be familiar with the grade system in Belgium, but don't let that put you off! Most unis will have forms to fill out and will require you to email in evidence of your grades, so it can be figured out.

I don't know what that equates to, but it seems rather decent! Well done. :h:
Original post by Airmed
At my university, we haven't. We certainly didn't last week during the Scottish Higher results day. I have checked the courses and they seem to be same offers from during the main UCAS cycle.

However, this is not the same for all universities, and it is always best to phone up and check, rather than relying solely on their website. :h:

So if the grades required arent any lower, then all clearing is , would ne just showing where here are still spaces ?

I do have a question though. is it first come first served. How long does it take to get accepted?

Presumably the uni looks at your UCAS form? Do they need verification of grades or can they see that from UCAS as well? Is it a matter of hours or days? just getting an idea of timescale. If it was days there might be a chance to visit to have a quick look at campus rather thna accepting sight unseen.

Thanks for the answer.
Hi! Great thread! :smile: I was just wondering, if the course you originally applied for is completely different to the one you want to do through clearing, do you still need a new Personal Statement?
Reply 27
Original post by MillieBanks
I'm a mature student (23!) still filling out my UCAS application this evening, I had 10 A's at GCSE but 2 D's at A level. Is there much chance of me getting on a course through clearing or would I be better off doing some sort of access course this year and applying for next year instead? I would love to go this september!

You have every chance! Just look for course that are suitable, and if not, look at Foundation years or access courses. I don't want to discourage you from not applying through clearing when I know it is possible to get an offer (can't say any more than that for confidentiality reasons!).
Reply 28
Fingers crossed i get into my firm tomorrow... I would be *happy* with my current course, but there is a particular course i would prefer. If I get the necessary grades at my firm do I call clearing or adjustment to change courses? They are both a social science and both need the same grades. Thanks!
Reply 29
Original post by 999tigger
So if the grades required arent any lower, then all clearing is , would ne just showing where here are still spaces ?

I do have a question though. is it first come first served. How long does it take to get accepted?

Presumably the uni looks at your UCAS form? Do they need verification of grades or can they see that from UCAS as well? Is it a matter of hours or days? just getting an idea of timescale. If it was days there might be a chance to visit to have a quick look at campus rather thna accepting sight unseen.

Thanks for the answer.

The course I study at my uni is open on Clearing. The offer was ABB for me. It is still ABB now. Some unis have lowered grades, but not at mine.

Yes, the uni can look at the UCAS form, but they will most likely still ask for photocopies of GCSE certificates etc. For the past few weeks the turnround for us was 48 hours for first response, but from tomorrow onwards we will be working for a 1 hour response. My uni is also holding open days on the 20th and 27th to allow students to come up and see the campus before accepting an offer. We also organise individual open days too. :h:

Original post by jayjaybird
Hi! Great thread! :smile: I was just wondering, if the course you originally applied for is completely different to the one you want to do through clearing, do you still need a new Personal Statement?

Depends on the uni. From what I have seen though, many people do send in PS.
Original post by Airmed
So ask away! :h:

I took this screenshot about a month ago:

Screenshot_20160707-203852.png

This is me 'enquiring now' about dentistry. :holmes:

Original post by Airmed
A student should weigh up all their options before picking up that phone.

What if I put the phone on speaker so that I technically haven't picked it up? Am I then excused from weighing up my options beforehand? :u:

Also, which phone do you mean? :hmmmm2:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by carxto
Fingers crossed i get into my firm tomorrow... I would be *happy* with my current course, but there is a particular course i would prefer. If I get the necessary grades at my firm do I call clearing or adjustment to change courses? They are both a social science and both need the same grades. Thanks!

Adjustment if you exceed the grades. If it is at the same uni you can always phone up and swap (that's what I did on the day last year), but otherwise, it would then go to Clearing.
Reply 32
Original post by Hydeman
I took this screenshot about a month ago:

Screenshot_20160707-203852.png

This is me 'enquiring now.' :holmes:

What if I put the phone on speaker so that I technically haven't picked it up? Am I then excused from weighing up my options beforehand? :u:

Dentistry is still not open (also weird screenshot, those 'apply now' boxes should be ORANGE!

Oh, Mr Hyde. I have missed you. :rofl:
Original post by carxto

You d have to exceed your firm offer to use adjustment. Is that course at the same university? If so call admissions and ask if they ll consider a swap.
Original post by ellen.smith

Hey! Just found this page from London South Bank Uni that 'converts' things… you did really well! :smile:

71% is the equivalent to ABB or 320 UCAS points! :woo:

FYI @Airmed :tongue:
Reply 35
Original post by iEthan
Hey! Just found this page from London South Bank Uni that 'converts' things… you did really well! :smile:

71% is the equivalent to ABB or 320 UCAS points! :woo:

FYI @Airmed :tongue:

*writes down for future reference*

We won't be getting many calls from EU students tomorrow. Most of our courses aren't open to them :frown:
Reply 36
Original post by Airmed
Adjustment if you exceed the grades. If it is at the same uni you can always phone up and swap (that's what I did on the day last year), but otherwise, it would then go to Clearing.

Fab thank you! Yeah its the same Uni, so I just ring admissions?
Reply 37
Original post by carxto
Fab thank you! Yeah its the same Uni, so I just ring admissions?

Yup, admissions would be best! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Airmed
The course I study at my uni is open on Clearing. The offer was ABB for me. It is still ABB now. Some unis have lowered grades, but not at mine.

Yes, the uni can look at the UCAS form, but they will most likely still ask for photocopies of GCSE certificates etc. For the past few weeks the turnround for us was 48 hours for first response, but from tomorrow onwards we will be working for a 1 hour response. My uni is also holding open days on the 20th and 27th to allow students to come up and see the campus before accepting an offer. We also organise individual open days too. :h:

You'd have to make a new personal statement for a different course ?
Original post by Airmed

Thanks thats very helpful.

Do the photocopies need to be certified copies?
I assume theyd wnat a copy of passport as well?
Just asking as thats something people could be getting on with.

If your uni wants a 1h response, then wont the people who wait for the open days be a little late i.e the 1h response people accepting sight unseen will beat them to the places? Would they be allowed to drop out after the open day?

Latest

Trending

Trending