The Student Room Group

Is previous work experience worth it?

I wish to apply to study Law at university in Scotland this coming year. I didn't get the best grades ( above average Scottish highers) so would be hoping for a conditional offer. I was just curious if work experience in a local law firm would be worth my time in terms of helping me gain acceptance or give me the edge over other applicants with similar grades. I have done previous work experience in a firm but would look to return if it would benefit my chances of success. Thank you for the help in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Any advice?
Work experience is rarely impressive to universities when it comes to law. Yes, they will appreciate it as it shows you've tried to better understand the subject by trying to get a feel for it in practice, but do not make the mistake of assuming that an academic study of the law at university is anything like legal practice, they are poles apart.

If you don't have the grades to meet the cut off for that university and no extenuating circumstances, all the work experience in the world will not change that. But bear in mind that not every university is an Oxford or UCL that are inundated with more applications than spots. A lot of (less subscribed) unis will give you conditional offers even if you don't have the minimum grades advertised, it's a matter of doing your research and picking your universities wisely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending