Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If we live in a computer simulation, does it make a difference to the meaning of life Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I've recently read a series of books called 'The Game is Life' by Terry Schott, which works around the premise of people being put into a computer simulation called 'The Game', and living their life there, unaware of the fact it's a simulation.

Throughout the process, they're awarded points for meeting various 'goals' in the simulation, but it also centres around them trying to find some greater meaning to life, and what it's objectives are.

Do you believe living in a simulation like that would make a difference to the meaning of life? And if not, would it make a difference if you were instead aware that you were in the simulation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I've recently read a series of books called 'The Game is Life' by Terry Schott, which works around the premise of people being put into a computer simulation called 'The Game', and living their life there, unaware of the fact it's a simulation.

Throughout the process, they're awarded points for meeting various 'goals' in the simulation, but it also centres around them trying to find some greater meaning to life, and what it's objectives are.

Do you believe living in a simulation like that would make a difference to the meaning of life? And if not, would it make a difference if you were instead aware that you were in the simulation?
    I think it would make a difference if we could somehow prove (unlikely) that we are in a sim of some kind. Not least, because it would radically alter our psychological and philosophical views to discover that God or 'the Creator' or 'Creation' (or whatever takes your fancy) is actually a super-sophisticated algorithm running on a stonkingly powerful megacomputer designed by who-knows-who, some cosmic geek? Bleargh.

Apparently some scientists have tried quite hard to determine if this might be the case with our universe, for example, looking for unusual repetitions in the substructure of matter, evidence of 'upgrades' since the universe began, etc. So far, the quest has drawn a blank.

Still, I suppose if we are in some kind of deity-created cosmos (an early cosmic super-planner) then perhaps we are effectively in a simulation anyway. Just an incredibly super-cool one.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by shadowdweller)

This is what I reckon:

Assuming your were unaware it wouldn't make a difference to your meaning of life- what you believe you are there for- since you wouldn't know anything different from what we know in our world, but it would make a difference to the true meaning of life. Life would cease to be the main focus and instead it would be to entertain or to fufil the purpous of whatever game you were in.
    If you knew, I immagine a lot of people's meanings of life would become rebelion or escape- to break this unfair reality where their life is not their own but only serves to fufil some oppresive overlord's desires.

ReputationRep:
    It's a really bad simulation if the algorithms don't allow me to suck my own ****.

Even IGN rates 0/10.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.