Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does working in a charity hinder your application? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would something that is otherwise decent experience (grant writing, admin, working with databases, financial systems and large amounts of data for an organisation) be worth less seeing as I'm working for a charity when it comes to applying to the big banks?

Just something that I have heard as it shows I am not motivated by money (what somebody I know said), so I am curious on the view points when it is compared to if I was earning.

Of course, I believe it to be worth far more than nothing at all, I am just curious.

Also, is writing applications for grants/funding even a useful skill when it comes to banks?

ReputationRep:
    obviously not.

ReputationRep:
    any exp is good exp if spun correctly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Would something that is otherwise decent experience (grant writing, admin, working with databases, financial systems and large amounts of data for an organisation) be worth less seeing as I'm working for a charity when it comes to applying to the big banks?

Just something that I have heard as it shows I am not motivated by money (what somebody I know said), so I am curious on the view points when it is compared to if I was earning.

Of course, I believe it to be worth far more than nothing at all, I am just curious.

Also, is writing applications for grants/funding even a useful skill when it comes to banks?
    I can't see how it'd be worth less, it's the experience that counts and the skills you gain from it, whether you gain that from a charity or not is irrelevant (or at least it should be)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that it should matter. Why would it?

ReputationRep:
    I think it should help especially if you can write the transferable skills you've learnt and how relevant it was on any application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)

No. Charity work of any type is looked on favourably. Banks don't want people who are obsessively motivated by money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.