Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The general rule of thumb seems to be that UK employers will be most familiar with UK degrees and hold these in the highest regard (with obvious exceptions, e.g. Harvard/Yale/Princeton). But considering that almost all the major investment banks originate from NYC and probably have a fair number of Americans overlooking things, is it safe to assume that employers in London will hold most Ivy Leagues + other top American unis in high regard, or is there still a bias towards UK degrees?

ReputationRep:
    High regard, yes, but perhaps not quite as high as in the US. People will obviously be impressed with the usual suspects, but tend to rank the 'lower' Ivies nearer the Warwick/UCL type level. I'm not sure how accurate that is in terms of actual quality, but it seems to be how they're referred.

ReputationRep:
    If you are British and go to a top American university, you will be fine. I think you're going to Columbia, OP? Do an internship in New York, and they'll gladly give you a full-time offer in London due to your citizenship.

Just so you know, due to the problems with getting visas for foreign students in the States this year, many banks have sent people who originally had offers to New York offices to London. I have a few friends from Stanford starting in London as graduates because of this. So by the time you apply, there will be a good amount of people with US degrees working in London at the analyst/associate level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    If you are British and go to a top American university, you will be fine. I think you're going to Columbia, OP? Do an internship in New York, and they'll gladly give you a full-time offer in London due to your citizenship.

Just so you know, due to the problems with getting visas for foreign students in the States this year, many banks have sent people who originally had offers to New York offices to London. I have a few friends from Stanford starting in London as graduates because of this. So by the time you apply, there will be a good amount of people with US degrees working in London at the analyst/associate level.
    That's bad. It is time for Brown to tighten the visa laws. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer11111)
    That's bad. It is time for Brown to tighten the visa laws. :rolleyes:
    think before you post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    think before you post.
    :laugh: Couldn't have said it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses.

Drogue: which would you class as the lower Ivies?

shady lane: yeah Columbia, and thanks for letting me know about the NYC-London thing. I was a bit worried about the visa issue. Are banks still able to get visas for foreigners at all?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently only 1/3 of people who applied for the H1-B visa got them. It was done in a lottery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Breakfast)
    Drogue: which would you class as the lower Ivies?
    Probably Brown, Cornell, UPenn and Dartmouth. I'm never sure whether Columbia can really class as a 4th part of HYP, so I'd probably put it in between the two groups. But I'm no expert.

ReputationRep:
    My ranking overall:

Harvard, Yale, Princeton

Columbia, Penn

Dartmouth

Brown

Cornell

For banking, this is it (and trust me, it is, no mistakes here):

Harvard, Princeton, Wharton

Columbia, Dartmouth, Yale

Penn (ex. Wharton), Cornell

Brown

ReputationRep:
    Throw in Stanford, MIT, UChicago, and Northwestern with the Ivies and it might look a little different..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well he asked for a ranking of Ivies. Stanford and MIT would be in the first group, Chicago in the second, and Northwestern...hmm I dunno actually. This is for IB recruiting.

ReputationRep:
    NU would probably be in no. 2...thanks to kelloggs its econ dept is also really strong, heavily recruited by chicago offices as well as NY. did my bit of research when choosing warwick over it and cornell...cornell's got a better brand name overall but for IB its definitely in a tier below..agree?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Warwick over Cornell was a good idea. Cornell is massive, and because it knows it is pretty much the least popular Ivy for the top students, it makes its courses really hard. So you don't get the prestige of any of the other Ivies, but you have to work much harder. And you have to live in Ithaca, NY, yuck. Warwick is definitely more respected by UK offices than Cornell is by US ones.

That's a good point about NU, I'm sure in Chicago it places really well. Yale has really bad IB placement relative to its overall reputation, but I think it's because it attracts more arts-focused students. And also perhaps because its b-school isn't great.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with the ithaca thing...visited and my first reaction was "yuck". Evanston on the other hand is pretty nice..

Cornell ED is so ridiculously easy to get into (50%), which has also contributed to its "lowest ivy" status within the US..and as u mentioned, its huge and to get distinguished in a 5000 graduating class is far from easy, and is an imp. factor in IB. Surprised Yale doesnt fare that well in IB, considering its awesome rep otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    For banking, this is it (and trust me, it is, no mistakes here):

Harvard, Princeton, Wharton

Columbia, Dartmouth, Yale

Penn (ex. Wharton), Cornell

Brown
    How about business schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Breakfast)
    How about business schools?
    For MBAs? Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton are the three truly elite business schools. They are all amazing across the board, although Wharton skews a bit more towards finance and Stanford skews towards VC and consulting.

After that, I'd put Columbia, UChicago, and Northwestern.

Next, Tuck (Dartmouth) and Sloan (MIT).

Then Yale, Stern (NYU), and Haas (UC Berkeley).

However these are a bit more subjective. It really depends what you want your MBA to do for you. Yale doesn't place very well in IB but is amazing for social entrepreneurship and public management. Northwestern is pretty much accepted as having the best marketing program in the country. MIT naturally attracts people who are looking to move from technical to management roles in the engineering and science industry. And Tuck is really strong in consulting.

ReputationRep:
    How's John Hopkins for undergraduate studies? It has quite a name for other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    This is for IB recruiting.
    And you go and drop the 3 of the most recruited uni's in the world (MIT, Stanford and Chicago)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sins55)
    And you go and drop the 3 of the most recruited uni's in the world (MIT, Stanford and Chicago)
    Did you not notice the "ranking of Ivies"? MIT, Stanford and Chicago aren't Ivies

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.