Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from my local shopping centre job hunting and have got loads of places asking for my CV. I've given out my CV before (around september last year, but not to a lot of places cos I was trying to concentrate on my studies) and got no reponses so my question is:

Which is better for getting a job? A CV or and Application form?

Also how do you get them to actually read the flipping CV after you've given it in? I'm sure they must have hundreds of applications so how do you make yours stand out?

ReputationRep:
    Application forms are generally considered better. A lot of places will send you an application form after you've sent them your CV. I always put my CV in with the application forms though, too. Not that I'm the best example, I've had no responses either - but I have only applied for a couple of jobs and I have no experience.

ReputationRep:
    Although application forms are helpful, CV's also help you sell yourself in more detail and for them to know more about who you are as such.

I recently applied for a job and I completed an Application Form and gave my CV in with the form. I got a reply within days.

ReputationRep:
    I've always gone round shops/posted CVs with a covering letter first. Some places then give you an application form after, in my experience there doesn't seem to be much chance of any vacancies if you don't get an application form back after sending your CV.

Well for a start, it's good if it actually gets to human resources in the first place without finding the bin or being lost under other papers lying around first. Guess it depends on the store, but with supermarkets I think the best time to hand CVs/forms in is daytime, pref the morning, the people on customer services then strike me as more likely to pass the form on, and i've always had a response when doing this. I know of people working in shops that don't pass on half the application forms they get given!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.