Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

a app that puts a red line through nasty words, will somehow end online bullying. Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/FHP1EjXdYrI

I don't think many people who say go kill yourselves online will not then send the message, all this will do is make kids more creative with their insults.

Does anyone think this will end online bullying?

It doesn't even stop the message being sent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    https://youtu.be/FHP1EjXdYrI

I don't think many people who say go kill yourselves online will not then send the message, all this will do is make kids more creative with their insults.

Does anyone think this will end online bullying?
    Online bullying is merely just a convenience for bullies. In practice, people who get bullied online typically get bullied in person too.

Firstly, for this app to succeed in its pretty unrealistic goal, everyone would have to use it as a proxy for social media. This is the first time I've heard of it, so on this aspect alone, it's not looking too good.

Secondly, (as I mentioned) people who get bullied online will often get bullied in real life. The omission of using the internet as a tool to inflict bullying on others for bullies could potentially lead to intensified bullying in person, which is arguably more saddening then online bullying.

Thirdly, as you mentioned, the developers of this app will constantly have to update the software algorithm to censor out insults and this in it self could cost a lot of money.

I don' think this will succeed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.