Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone need a bit of help installing windows 10.
    Basically I'm installing from a usb onto a usb external HDD.
    But I have been having problems and constant errors with it.
    HDD is ntfs, been formatted.
    First I tried installing with the hdd partitioned into 2 partitions.
    First issue I encountered was that windows refuses to install and says that the disk is MBR and needs to be gpt.
    I change the drive to gpt, then installer says can't install disk is gpt and needs to be mbr.
    I swap back to mbr then installer says NO! you can't install windows on external disk:
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE
    I reformat drive and make it just one volume/partition. Still getting same issues as above.

What am I doing wrong?!
    This is driving me insane.
    Extra info: I'm using a bootcamp mac with 8.1 installed and had no issues installing 8.1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE
    Is that not the issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Is that not the issue?
    Installer goes through several issues and that was the last one.
    First it says it can't install to mbr disk
    Then it says it can't install to gpt disk
    Then that it can't install to usb connected disk

It doesn't have any of these issues when I click to install on the C drive (the internal mac ssd)
    The only issue is I'd like to keep 8.1 on the ssd for now and just try out 10 on the external hdd.
    Something is going wrong somewhere I just don't know where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Installer goes through several issues and that was the last one.
    First it says it can't install to mbr disk
    Then it says it can't install to gpt disk
    Then that it can't install to usb connected disk

It doesn't have any of these issues when I click to install on the C drive (the internal mac ssd)
    The only issue is I'd like to keep 8.1 on the ssd for now and just try out 10 on the external hdd.
    Something is going wrong somewhere I just don't know where.
    so the error message is totally accurate.. no?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The errors make perfect sense. By default you cannot install Windows onto an external Hard Drive. The default settings do not allow it. To get around this you need to make the external drive bootable. Use something like this to get the external drive bootable:

http://www.partition-tool.com/resour...ard-drive.html

Remember to change drive letters as appropriate. I noticed you mentioned a Mac, if you're using OSX you'll need an OSX tutorial obviously, or complete the install using another computer.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.