Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is having a problem with his student finance and any help would be great.
    He did a combined science foundation year and did really well, he then came to sheffield and started his physics degree last September but wasn't enjoying his course so dropped out at the beginning of this year.
    He has decided he wanted to change his course to aerospace engineering and has been accepted at Sheffield Hallam university to start this September.
    The problem is his student finance has been accepted but when he looked at the details today it said he's receiving £8200 maintenance loan but no tuition fee? Is this just because his details haven't gone through properly yet or is there a problem?
    I've seen lots of people saying you get limited years funding but I thought you were allowed one retake/new start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeloo2706)
    My boyfriend is having a problem with his student finance and any help would be great.
    He did a combined science foundation year and did really well, he then came to sheffield and started his physics degree last September but wasn't enjoying his course so dropped out at the beginning of this year.
    He has decided he wanted to change his course to aerospace engineering and has been accepted at Sheffield Hallam university to start this September.
    The problem is his student finance has been accepted but when he looked at the details today it said he's receiving £8200 maintenance loan but no tuition fee? Is this just because his details haven't gone through properly yet or is there a problem?
    I've seen lots of people saying you get limited years funding but I thought you were allowed one retake/new start?
    4 years funding available. As he started a course but dropped out, that counts as a year.

He'll have to pay first year of tuition fees in full, then fully funded by SF for years 2 and 3.

Happened to me last year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    AFAIK funding is course length plus 1 year to allow for changes and resits. From what you've said, he is already two years down and wishes to start a new course. I doubt this would be fully funded. Did he definitely apply for the tuition loan as it would seem otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    So they're counting his foundation year as part of his 4 years funding? Is there anyway he can pay in instalments or find other funding? There's no way he will be able to pay £9000 in full..

ReputationRep:
    So they're counting his foundation year as part of his 4 years funding? Is there anyway he can pay in instalments or find other funding? There's no way he will be able to pay £9000 in full..
    Yeah, that's the way it is unfortunately.

Unis will only accept paying in full up front or £3000 in 3 installments over the first year.

Luckily my parents paid for mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    AFAIK funding is course length plus 1 year to allow for changes and resits. From what you've said, he is already two years down and wishes to start a new course. I doubt this would be fully funded. Did he definitely apply for the tuition loan as it would seem otherwise.
    But you said the course length plus one year? Is foundation year was a separate course. I will ring tomorrow to check but I'm pretty sure he did

ReputationRep:
    But you said the course length plus one year? Is foundation year was a separate course. I will ring tomorrow to check but I'm pretty sure he did
    Foundation years count, and the funding is across all courses taken, not just one or at one particular university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Foundation years count, and the funding is across all courses taken, not just one or at one particular university.
    Ah I see..well it's pretty **** that they didn't explain this in advance
    Thanks though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah I see..well it's pretty **** that they didn't explain this in advance
    Thanks though
    I mean, this sort of thing should have been asked in advance; this is a very specific and special case being dealt with here, not one the typical student would undergo.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.