Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi,

So the other day, my father told me, ever since I was born £1k every year to my bank account.

I'm 27 now and he saved something like £25k and he told me last week, when I pass away, only then you can have it.

I don't want him to pass away, I don't understand why he can't give it me now, especially since I've just graduated and seeking a graduate job. And I had a speaking disorder for 22 years.

He is working and he can use what he earns for himself.

All in all, I don't see the point of giving the saved sum of money decades from now, I'm not going to spend the money, it's just that people feel a bit secure having a safety net, they feel more secure.

What are your thoughts?

BTW, I've lived a traumatic life, couldn't talk properly for two decades, I lost my mom since the age of 11, bullied, never ever had a hug, love ever,so this is the other reason why he should give it now.

Life is short, why give it in the form of a will? Why give it after he's past away?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to adult life mate, where people don't give a toss about you and competition for jobs is intense and once you're in a job, you're only one bad moment away from the sack. I wish there were more compassion in the world too, but sadly that's how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a specific reason you want the money (aka putting towards a house, for education, etc etc) then maybe he'll change his mind. But if you want the money just to have the money, I can understand why he'd keep it until then. There's no point pissing it away just because you have it. I think it would be nice to know that I have that much money coming to me one day

Thank you for the replies.

Even if he gives it, I'm not going to use it, I don't like wasting money. It's just that I would like to know I have this much already my account and this makes me feel secure, money makes everyone secure.

I'm relatively confident I'll get a job in the next 2-3 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    BTW, I've lived a traumatic life, couldn't talk properly for two decades, I lost my mom since the age of 11, bullied, never ever had a hug, love ever,so this is the other reason why he should give it now.

Life is short, why give it in the form of a will? Why give it after he's past away?
    this is irrelevant ^^^^ why does having a tough life mean you're entitled to the money?

I think you're being massively ungrateful, your dad has saved a huge amount of money to give to you and you're just sat there moaning that you can't have it exactly when you want it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.