Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Passed my test about 3 months ago and got myself a car. Lifes been better than ever now, been out socially alot more for lunch, cinema and to the local theme park.

Insurnace is a bit of a joke, but thats life. Petrol costs about £25 per week which is as expected, however it all adds up.

Like many people i suppose i've got into the habbit of using my car for literatly every journey i make, should popping to the local shops which are less than a 7 minute walk (if that) and picking my brother up from school which is about a 15 minute walk.

What i am interested to find out is if anyone else has fallen into this habbit? the summer is here, college is out and i have no real rush to get to the shop and back within a few minutes, therefore i am going to try my very hardest to resist using my car for short journeys. Its not being very green and im sure the petrol all adds up.
    :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    everybody does that to start with, you will eventually get sick of paying for fuel all the time and then you'l stop driving around all the time. savour the novelty whilst it lasts i say!

ReputationRep:
    I've gone from paying £20 per week for petrol three years ago (when I first passed), to about £20 per month now. I just hate driving unless I really need to so I cycle pretty much everywhere instead.

ReputationRep:
    I now drive some journeys that I would have cycled before I passed my test, like the 4 miles to my boyfriend's house or to the beach, but that is really because I hate arriving all hot and sweaty. Since I passed though I have made an effort to continue cycling to work (about 3.5miles), although I do now have the option of a car if it is chucking it down with rain or I need to get somewhere in a hurry afterwards. I decided it was stupid though to unnecessarily spend a portion of the money I'm earning in getting to work. And of course cycling is more healthy!!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone does it to start with - soon wears off. Some chav/boy-racer round my way has just passed his test and is out every night driving round the lanes with his mates....I've seen him three times and twice he's stalled!:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever drive.. I cycle as much as I can or catch a lift with someone else.

My cars a 1.8 so it drinks petrol lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just got my car and I honestly havent got into that habit although everyone else is pushing me to do it. "Can I have a lift?" "Will you drive us up to the shops" etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the opposite (kinda). Got my car and used it for nearly all my journeys and I'm starting to use it more now ... driving to work when I can instead of walking.

ReputationRep:
    I drive constantly out of choice.
    Fuel bills... well... lets not talk about it. Lately im getting about 9 to the gallon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I drive constantly out of choice.
    Fuel bills... well... lets not talk about it. Lately im getting about 9 to the gallon.
    What on earth do you drive. My Dads Range Rover gives better MPG then that, actually our S500 gives better MPG than that. :eek:

Do you drive a Ford GT by any chance? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR 51NGH)
    What on earth do you drive.
    1978 MGB GT V8. its er... a bit low geared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    1978 MGB GT V8. its er... a bit low geared!
    You must be great friends with your local petrol station workers lol. How big is the fuel tank?

ReputationRep:
    12 gallon
    I can get about 200 miles from a tank on a run though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    12 gallon
    I can get about 200 miles from a tank on a run though.
    200miles is not bad at all, considering a 1.2 Corsa gives 300miles I think from a full tank. However I guess the only way you'd get 200miles is if you drove like a Granny :p:

ReputationRep:
    tis when I used to get 330 from a tank.
    I couldnt give a toss about fuel consumption tbh. Note my signature...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.