Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, I made a massive mistake in picking my firm and insurance choice and I am trying to get to my insurance now. I know at this stage I should prepare for disappointment, but am nonetheless going to try my few remaining options.

I'm first going to try adjustment shortly. I've also heard some people mention trying to convince your insurance to take you through clearing. I know this may be a stupid question, but is this advice only for unis in clearing, or (I'm assuming not) will a uni ever take a one off applicant through clearing if that makes sense? Thanks for any help - and if there's any other option I haven't considered, I'd be grateful for any insight or advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whippersniffer)
    Long story short, I made a massive mistake in picking my firm and insurance choice and I am trying to get to my insurance now. I know at this stage I should prepare for disappointment, but am nonetheless going to try my few remaining options.

I'm first going to try adjustment shortly. I've also heard some people mention trying to convince your insurance to take you through clearing. I know this may be a stupid question, but is this advice only for unis in clearing, or (I'm assuming not) will a uni ever take a one off applicant through clearing if that makes sense? Thanks for any help - and if there's any other option I haven't considered, I'd be grateful for any insight or advice.
    If you've got into your firm, then your insurance offer has already disappeared.

However, give your insurance choice a ring - if they're in Clearing for that course, then they're likely to want to take you through that route.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    You should just be able to ring up your firm choice asking to be released, which will automatically place you at your Insurance. However it might be worth ringing your Insurance to check there are still places available on said course before being released.

Good luck

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    You should just be able to ring up your firm choice asking to be released, which will automatically place you at your Insurance. However it might be worth ringing your Insurance to check there are still places available on said course before being released.

Good luck

Josh
    The insurance place will have disappeared earlier in the week when the firm place was confirmed, so asking to be let go from the firm at this point will result in going straight into Clearing.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    The insurance place will have disappeared earlier in the week when the firm place was confirmed, so asking to be let go from the firm at this point will result in going straight into Clearing.
    Thanks for clarifying that, i need a few more coffee's in me this morning.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    If you've got into your firm, then your insurance offer has already disappeared.

However, give your insurance choice a ring - if they're in Clearing for that course, then they're likely to want to take you through that route.
    Unfortunately my course isn't in clearing at the moment - so aside from the slim chance of adjustment - I suppose it isn't looking good. Thanks for the response though.

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Thanks for clarifying that, i need a few more coffee's in me this morning.

Josh
    That's a shame - thanks for the responses though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.