Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys so unfortunately I didn't get into my first choice university but got my insurance, I don't mind going to my insurance choice but I was wondering if it was at all possible to still call my first choice uni and discuss this or if its too late and they cant accept me since I was already declined this morning or call another university to see if they have any spaces on the mechanical engineering courses.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Chances are your firm aren't going to take you this year so there isn't much point. You can have a look in clearing but will have to ask your insurance to reject you first.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way I can call up another uni and make sure I can get a place with them before I call up my insurance to release me or do I have to do it after I've already been released?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeja12)
    Hey guys so unfortunately I didn't get into my first choice university but got my insurance, I don't mind going to my insurance choice but I was wondering if it was at all possible to still call my first choice uni and discuss this or if its too late and they cant accept me since I was already declined this morning or call another university to see if they have any spaces on the mechanical engineering courses.
    What uni did you firm and insure?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Is there a way I can call up another uni and make sure I can get a place with them before I call up my insurance to release me or do I have to do it after I've already been released?
    They can only officially offer you a place once you've been released into clearing (and have therefore lost your insurance). There's nothing to stop you contacting them beforehand but it is a risk, especially since you can assume lots of people are in the same position as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPauling)
    What uni did you firm and insure?
    firm-Birmingham Insurance-Plymouth

ReputationRep:
    firm-Birmingham Insurance-Plymouth
    You'll enjoy Plymouth I have a friend doing engineering there and he really enjoys it
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

If you had your heart set on Engineering in the midlands you might be interested in going just over the road from UOB. Our BEng and MEng Mechanical Engineering courses are clearing at BBC and ABB respectively. The MEng engineering course contains both a professional placement year (my friends have done theirs at companies such as Rolls Royce) and a Masters Degree.

Give use a call on 0121 204 4444

Josh
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Jeja12

I think if your first choice have rejected you through UCAS then they're probably unlikely to make you an offer. So it's a case of choosing between your insurance offer or going into Clearing.
    If it helps, we do have a few places left in Mech Eng at Heriot-Watt so you could give our Clearing line a ring to discuss your options? Tel 0131 322 3222.

Thanks and good luck whatever you decide.

Sophie
    Heriot-Watt Clearing Team

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.