The Student Room Group

Midwifery as a second degree

Hi there. I am interested in applying for midwifery as a second degree. I already have a undergraduate degree and got full student loan and support when I was studying before.

My question is ONLY relating to tuition fee loan. I can financially support myself for living costs etc for the duration of the degree, but from next year as the NHS are now no longer funding the tuition fees I need to know if I can get tuition fee loan from student finance.

I have asked this question many times on Facebook and had no response at all. This would involve a huge commitment from me, financially as
Well as a big relocation so a correct answer would be appreciated. The student finance website is very unclear, and on this forum as well, some people have said they have had tuition fee loans for a second degree, others have said only for certain subjects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Lpaul16
Hi there. I am interested in applying for midwifery as a second degree. I already have a undergraduate degree and got full student loan and support when I was studying before.

My question is ONLY relating to tuition fee loan. I can financially support myself for living costs etc for the duration of the degree, but from next year as the NHS are now no longer funding the tuition fees I need to know if I can get tuition fee loan from student finance.

I have asked this question many times on Facebook and had no response at all. This would involve a huge commitment from me, financially as
Well as a big relocation so a correct answer would be appreciated. The student finance website is very unclear, and on this forum as well, some people have said they have had tuition fee loans for a second degree, others have said only for certain subjects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently, the governments line is that they will funded second degrees that are NHS ones.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Currently, the governments line is that they will funded second degrees that are NHS ones.

Oh really?? Well that gives me some hope! :biggrin: thanks. Don't suppose you happen to have a link that supports that do you? *looks with big puppy dog eyes and hopeful smile*
Claire is right. Don't think there's much information yet about the changes in regards to NHS courses and the changes next year. Aside from it all being loans.
Original post by Lpaul16
Oh really?? Well that gives me some hope! :biggrin: thanks. Don't suppose you happen to have a link that supports that do you? *looks with big puppy dog eyes and hopeful smile*

"We intend that students studying nursing, midwifery and the allied health subjects as a second degree will also be able to get student loans. "
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
"We intend that students studying nursing, midwifery and the allied health subjects as a second degree will also be able to get student loans. "
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform

You beauty!!! Thanks love. That's made my day! 😆😆
Original post by Lpaul16
You beauty!!! Thanks love. That's made my day! 😆😆

Glad I could help:smile:
Reply 7
I'm personally fine with having loans.....I mean what's an extra £20,000 or so on top of what I've got hey?? 😱

But I currently live abroad, temporarily but if I knew getting another loan was an option I am going to start putting a plan in place to relocate back to the uk. If it's not an option, I'm going to stay here. Haha. So you can imagine if I give up my residency permit, appartment, furniture etc, where I'm living now, move back to the uk and then to be told I can't get a student loan would be devastating to me. Plus with all this brexit stuff I don't know if it would be an option for me to move back over in the future so that's really helped me to decide my life plan for the next few years!! Diamond. Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending