Turn on thread page Beta

What to wear for lunch at the House of Commons watch

ReputationRep:
    Going to lunch today with a prospective MP at the House of Commons. What should I wear? How smart? Has anyone been to lunch there, what did you wear?

ReputationRep:
    A suit? That's what my brother had to wear when he did w/e with an MP.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I'm not sure whether its a casual lunch or not, and I don't want to look like an idiot.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    A suit? That's what my brother had to wear when he did w/e with an MP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Thing is, I'm not sure whether its a casual lunch or not, and I don't want to look like an idiot.
    Wear an open-necked shirt and jacket but take a tie in case you need it.

Then you'll be smart/casual
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    A balaclava

ReputationRep:
    I could always see what the other person who is going is wearing and if hes casual hide the jacket in my bag.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Wear whatever you feel happy in normally at a half decent restauraunt and a bag of self confidence.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be full of suited politicians and civil servents anyway so you wouldn't look out of place with a suit, just serious :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the problem is we could also easily be eating in a cafe or sandwich bar.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Wear whatever you feel happy in normally at a half decent restauraunt and a bag of self confidence.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Ok, the problem is we could also easily be eating in a cafe or sandwich bar.
    and?

If you're comfortable (or at least act comfortable) you shouldn't look out of place...unless you turn up in a tux

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks. I'll wear smart trousers, jacket and shirt and I can always put on a tie if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Going to lunch today with a prospective MP at the House of Commons. What should I wear? How smart? Has anyone been to lunch there, what did you wear?
    A 'Rights for dads' T-Shirt.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    A 'Rights for dads' T-Shirt.
    Probably more likely than my original suggestion to cause a close encounter with security, rubber gloves and lube

ReputationRep:
    Suit up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to wear a suit without a tie, but take one with me

(Original post by Fluffy)
    Suit up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to wear a suit without a tie, but take one with me
    I would wear a tie. Even if you do *just* go to a coffee shop, it will be full of the suited faceless of Dinium.

It's better in this sort of situtation to be over dressed as opposed to being under dressed. A scruff will stick out like a sore thumb and you might be remembered for the wrong reasons. Being smart will make the right impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I would wear a tie. Even if you do *just* go to a coffee shop, it will be full of the suited faceless of Dinium.

It's better in this sort of situtation to be over dressed as opposed to being under dressed. A scruff will stick out like a sore thumb and you might be remembered for the wrong reasons. Being smart will make the right impression.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I look smarter without a tie, and I can always ask if I should put one on

(Original post by Bhaal85)
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Just my humble advice as a faceless suited civil servant working in Dinium

ReputationRep:
    You need to make the effort, a suit without a tie, looks erm...'common'. It just doesn't suit (pardon the pun) the suit. (Whoops). A tie completes the look, plus you can always take it off later on.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.