Turn on thread page Beta

What to wear for lunch at the House of Commons watch

ReputationRep:
    Going to lunch today with a prospective MP at the House of Commons. What should I wear? How smart? Has anyone been to lunch there, what did you wear?

ReputationRep:
    A suit? That's what my brother had to wear when he did w/e with an MP.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I'm not sure whether its a casual lunch or not, and I don't want to look like an idiot.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    A suit? That's what my brother had to wear when he did w/e with an MP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Thing is, I'm not sure whether its a casual lunch or not, and I don't want to look like an idiot.
    Wear an open-necked shirt and jacket but take a tie in case you need it.

Then you'll be smart/casual
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    A balaclava

ReputationRep:
    I could always see what the other person who is going is wearing and if hes casual hide the jacket in my bag.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Wear whatever you feel happy in normally at a half decent restauraunt and a bag of self confidence.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be full of suited politicians and civil servents anyway so you wouldn't look out of place with a suit, just serious :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the problem is we could also easily be eating in a cafe or sandwich bar.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Wear whatever you feel happy in normally at a half decent restauraunt and a bag of self confidence.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Ok, the problem is we could also easily be eating in a cafe or sandwich bar.
    and?

If you're comfortable (or at least act comfortable) you shouldn't look out of place...unless you turn up in a tux

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks. I'll wear smart trousers, jacket and shirt and I can always put on a tie if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Going to lunch today with a prospective MP at the House of Commons. What should I wear? How smart? Has anyone been to lunch there, what did you wear?
    A 'Rights for dads' T-Shirt.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    A 'Rights for dads' T-Shirt.
    Probably more likely than my original suggestion to cause a close encounter with security, rubber gloves and lube

ReputationRep:
    Suit up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to wear a suit without a tie, but take one with me

(Original post by Fluffy)
    Suit up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to wear a suit without a tie, but take one with me
    I would wear a tie. Even if you do *just* go to a coffee shop, it will be full of the suited faceless of Dinium.

It's better in this sort of situtation to be over dressed as opposed to being under dressed. A scruff will stick out like a sore thumb and you might be remembered for the wrong reasons. Being smart will make the right impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I would wear a tie. Even if you do *just* go to a coffee shop, it will be full of the suited faceless of Dinium.

It's better in this sort of situtation to be over dressed as opposed to being under dressed. A scruff will stick out like a sore thumb and you might be remembered for the wrong reasons. Being smart will make the right impression.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I look smarter without a tie, and I can always ask if I should put one on

(Original post by Bhaal85)
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Just my humble advice as a faceless suited civil servant working in Dinium

ReputationRep:
    You need to make the effort, a suit without a tie, looks erm...'common'. It just doesn't suit (pardon the pun) the suit. (Whoops). A tie completes the look, plus you can always take it off later on.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.