The Student Room Group

oral surgery and tongue piercing

im being put out tomorrow to have my wisdoms removed however im not willing to take my tongue bar out and iv not got the time or money to get a plastic one.

if im adamant about keeping it in, will it be ok?
Original post by shawtyb
im being put out tomorrow to have my wisdoms removed however im not willing to take my tongue bar out and iv not got the time or money to get a plastic one.

if im adamant about keeping it in, will it be ok?

No. You won't be okay with a metal tongue ring during sedation for a huge range of safety reasons. If you can't find a retainer you'll need to remove it for the duration of the operation. If you're completely refusing to take it out then they can refuse to remove your teeth.
Reply 2
I would not anaesthetise someone who refused to take out an oral piercing. Too much risk to the airway, plus there's a good chance I could damage it/the tongue when the breathing tube goes in/out.

What are your reasons for not removing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
I would not anaesthetise someone who refused to take out an oral piercing. Too much risk to the airway, plus there's a good chance I could damage it/the tongue when the breathing tube goes in/out.

What are your reasons for not removing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im worried about it closing up :/
im having 4 teeth removed, how long does it usually take ? and is it likely my tongue piercing will close~?
I cant imagine a good reason for leaving it in. Dont be so damn stubborn and take the piercing out,
Reply 5
Original post by silverbolt
I cant imagine a good reason for leaving it in. Dont be so damn stubborn and take the piercing out,

well obviously if i have to i will
How long have you had it? I accidentally slept overnight without mine in and it didn't heal up... although there was a bit of resistance when putting it back in.
Reply 7
Original post by bethwalker85
How long have you had it? I accidentally slept overnight without mine in and it didn't heal up... although there was a bit of resistance when putting it back in.

about 8 years maybe
Original post by shawtyb
about 8 years maybe

I think it should be fine I've had mine for much less than that. You just need to make sure once you wake up and get out of that grogginess you put it back in.

It did hurt when I put it back in because it had healed up a little bit but if you've had your tongue pierced you're used to the sensation.
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
im worried about it closing up :/
im having 4 teeth removed, how long does it usually take ? and is it likely my tongue piercing will close~?

The op itself is probably 1-1.5 hours, depending how impacted the teeth are. Add a bit more time afterwards for recovery from anaesthesia. I have no idea how quickly it would close up, I'm afraid. But having to get re-pierced is a less bad option than it getting ripped out by accident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by bethwalker85
I think it should be fine I've had mine for much less than that. You just need to make sure once you wake up and get out of that grogginess you put it back in.

It did hurt when I put it back in because it had healed up a little bit but if you've had your tongue pierced you're used to the sensation.

hopefully it will be ok then. gonna be well paranoid about it though :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
The op itself is probably 1-1.5 hours, depending how impacted the teeth are. Add a bit more time afterwards for recovery from anaesthesia. I have no idea how quickly it would close up, I'm afraid. But having to get re-pierced is a less bad option than it getting ripped out by accident.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im just terrified of pain thats all :frown:
Original post by shawtyb
im just terrified of pain thats all :frown:

Then how did you manage to get it done in the first place?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Helenia
Then how did you manage to get it done in the first place?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i closed my eyes
i seem to have grown less able to get piercings over the years.
i literally sit there physically shaking until they put the needle through

Quick Reply