The Student Room Group

I'm a Data Analyst for TSR - AMA!

I did this thread a couple of years ago and got a fair bit of interest, so thought I'd re run it (plus, there's a prize at stake :wink:)

I've been working at TSR for over 2 years now as a Data Analyst.

Ask me about interesting site stats - what's the most repped post? How many people visit the site on results day? who's the best member of the CT?
Or you can ask about how I got into my career, my qualifications, and what I enjoy about it!

Please don't ask me:
- how much I get paid
- how much Captain Jack gets paid
- moderation queries
- mean things...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenhasdreams
I did this thread a couple of years ago and got a fair bit of interest, so thought I'd re run it (plus, there's a prize at stake :wink:)

I've been working at TSR for over 2 years now as a Data Analyst.

Ask me about interesting site stats - what's the most repped post? How many people visit the site on results day? who's the best member of the CT?
Or you can ask about how I got into my career, my qualifications, and what I enjoy about it!

Please don't ask me:
- how much I get paid
- how much Captain Jack gets paid
- moderation queries
- mean things...

How many times has the word 'and' been used on TSR since your records began? :colone:
Academic credentials?
What IS the most repped post?

Are you a data vigilante by night?
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Academic credentials?

Hey... I've got a Maths degree from the University of Exeter! I picked mainly stats modules. My A-Levels were in Maths, Further Maths, Business Studies, Chemistry and AS Computing. It all feels like a long time ago.
Breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:

Also… what's the highest repped post of mine? :tongue: (narcissist, I know :u:)
Who IS the best member of the CT? :flutter:

What do you like best about your job?
Original post by Pinkberry_y
What IS the most repped post?

This one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34912976
Original post by Professor Oak
Are you a data vigilante by night?

I'm a marketing manager by night
Hey... I've got a Maths degree from the University of Exeter! I picked mainly stats modules. My A-Levels were in Maths, Further Maths, Business Studies, Chemistry and AS Computing. It all feels like a long time ago.

How good to you actually have to be in stats to be an analyst? Is it mostly computerised?
Original post by iEthan
Breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:

Also… what's the highest repped post of mine? :tongue: (narcissist, I know :u:)
Who IS the best member of the CT? :flutter:

What do you like best about your job?

I had a bagel with vegan cream cheese, avocado and tomato - supplied by TSR! Nom nom.

Your most repped post is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64973935 closely followed by http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65016735 :lol:

The best CT member is the sadly departed @Puddles the Monkey . If that's not allowed, then I suppose it's @Pickles. I don't really want to give him that satisfaction though.

I love problem solving so enjoy a good bit of investigation into all the masses of data we have about the site, and finding the answer to an issue! Especially if it's something we can change on the site and has a quick positive impact.
I had a bagel with vegan cream cheese, avocado and tomato - supplied by TSR! Nom nom.

Your most repped post is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64973935 closely followed by http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65016735 :lol:

The best CT member is the sadly departed @Puddles the Monkey . If that's not allowed, then I suppose it's @Pickles. I don't really want to give him that satisfaction though.

I love problem solving so enjoy a good bit of investigation into all the masses of data we have about the site, and finding the answer to an issue! Especially if it's something we can change on the site and has a quick positive impact.

Thank you :tongue: now I know!

I miss @Puddles the Monkey a lot… :frown: and her endless battle with the site permissions. D: Ah, @Pickles is a good guy I suppose. :tongue: Puddles is better though, so I'll allow you that one. :wink:

It sounds like such a cool job. And your breakfast sounds delicious!!
Original post by Nirgilis
How many times has the word 'and' been used on TSR since your records began? :colone:

This is taking too long to run ha! I've just looked at 2016 instead, that's stastically significant right :wink: ? There were 3.6M occurences, so on average 1.35 times per post. So with 57m posts that's 77 million "and"s...
This is taking too long to run ha! I've just looked at 2016 instead, that's stastically significant right :wink: ? There were 3.6M occurences, so on average 1.35 times per post. So with 57m posts that's 77 million "and"s...

Then we can do some extrapolation. How many posts have ever been made on TSR?

Then we can multiply that by 1.35 to get a rough estimate of the number of &s.
Then we can do some extrapolation. How many posts have ever been made on TSR?

Then we can multiply that by 1.35 to get a rough estimate of the number of &s.

Ah that's what I did! That's the 57M / 77M figures :smile:
Reply 15
How many contractual hours per week do you have?

Were you a user on TSR before becoming an employee?

How did you hear about the job?
Ah that's what I did! That's the 57M / 77M figures :smile:

Brilliant :colone:

What's the average number of words per post? :colone:
Original post by inhuman
How many contractual hours per week do you have?

Were you a user on TSR before becoming an employee?

How did you hear about the job?

I work full time - 37.5 hours a week.
Nope I wasn't a regular TSR user. The site wasn't nearly as big as it is now when I was studying (started Uni in 2004.)
I found the job on Wired Sussex, which is jobs board for techy jobs in Sussex (mainly Brighton) and where we advertise all our vacancies :smile:
Reply 18
I work full time - 37.5 hours a week.
Nope I wasn't a regular TSR user. The site wasn't nearly as big as it is now when I was studying (started Uni in 2004.)
I found the job on Wired Sussex, which is jobs board for techy jobs in Sussex (mainly Brighton) and where we advertise all our vacancies :smile:

Oh wow, long time ago.

What is the most negged post (if that is still available to see)?

Who do you report to?
Brilliant :colone:

What's the average number of words per post? :colone:

69. It had to be, didn't it.

Quick Reply

Latest