Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hi everyone! I hope you've all done well today 😌

So I got ABC and A* EPQ today. I have sent my papers off as I was so close to the next grade up in them all.

I intended to take a gap year this year and apply for medicine this year, so I completely put off the application process in school last year.

I have seen a course that I want to do in clearing, but my issue is that, as I never expected to do so bad in my a levels, I haven't got a completed personal statement :/ but the clearing grades are lower than if I apply this year, and my remarks may not go up.

When does clearing close? Do you think it's better to take a gap year (which I really, really don't want to do) or apply for neuroscience through clearing?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by alvinszeto8)
    Hi Lularose83,

I'm a graduate at Cardiff University and am working on behalf of the Uni as administrations now. Cardiff Uni have a program that if you apply for biomedical sciences (which also include physiology and anatomy) you can transfer to graduate entry to medicine after the first year.
    Based on grades (above 60%) and places (Top 15) you can transfer into medicine.
    Clearing lines are currently open if you want to give them a call
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/clearing

Hope this helps
    Hi! I called Cardiff uni up and they said there are no clearing places for biomedical sciences! They offered medical pharmacology, can you still transfer to med after a year?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the bioscience school so I'm not sure about pharmacology.
    Due to the new first year format, you can enter at basically any degree and come out with anything you like. You can transfer in first and second year.
    Try ringing up again and ask about transferring from biochemistry or a biological science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    Hi everyone! I hope you've all done well today 😌

So I got ABC and A* EPQ today. I have sent my papers off as I was so close to the next grade up in them all.

I intended to take a gap year this year and apply for medicine this year, so I completely put off the application process in school last year.

I have seen a course that I want to do in clearing, but my issue is that, as I never expected to do so bad in my a levels, I haven't got a completed personal statement :/ but the clearing grades are lower than if I apply this year, and my remarks may not go up.

When does clearing close? Do you think it's better to take a gap year (which I really, really don't want to do) or apply for neuroscience through clearing?
    If you have a particular uni in mind, you could try contacting them and seeing if they will consider taking you through the Record of Prior Acceptance route - this would mean that you don't have to complete a UCAS form. If they wont consider you unless you've applied through UCAS, ask them if they will accept an application without a reference, so that you can speed things up.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I've been on the phone waiting for Cardiff for so long. I'm determined to wait though

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.