Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please be realistic and honest!

So I just got my AS results. They were kind of better than expected but still not what I wanted to study medicine at uni!

French: A (181/200)
    Maths: B (220/300)
    Biology: B (85/120)
    Chemistry: B (94/120)

I'm halfway through the transition to the new A levels, so my French and Maths marks count towards my final grades. The Biology and Chemistry don't, however my school still made me take the exams, and I believe that we still have to put these grades on our UCAS form.

Chemistry was 2 UMS off an A, so I'm considering a remark.

Have these grades realistically ruined my chances at applying for medicine this year?! I have my UKCAT booked for next week, but I can still cancel it if I don't think it's worth taking. Is a gap year the best way forward (providing that my grades improve next year).

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by emelinaw)

So I just got my AS results. They were kind of better than expected but still not what I wanted to study medicine at uni!

I'm halfway through the transition to the new A levels, so my French and Maths marks count towards my final grades. The Biology and Chemistry don't, however my school still made me take the exams, and I believe that we still have to put these grades on our UCAS form.

Have these grades realistically ruined my chances at applying for medicine this year?! I have my UKCAT booked for next week, but I can still cancel it if I don't think it's worth taking. Is a gap year the best way forward (providing that my grades improve next year).

Thanks
    It hasn't ruined your chances at all! Don't worry at all. As long as you can be predicted AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Aim to do well on your UKCAT as planned, and make sure you get the AAA predictions. Then work your socks off to get those grades! Good luck, you're still in the running. Well done on the grades, they're pretty good no matter what!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emelinaw)

Thanks
    Do the UKCAT as planned!! Your grades are way better than you think- keep in mind unis expect you to improve through the transition to A2! Apply to unis you think you can get into (entry requirements I'd keep to AAA). I think you can definitely do it! Best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.